• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright 120 Extreme fan upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flynnstone

Registered
I'm looking to purchase the Thermalright 120-extreme for my i7 940, however before i pull the trigger i'd like to know what kind of performance i can expect from the Thermalright fan that comes with the kit? It looks like output of their fan is around 60cfm...

this kit
http://www.directron.com/u120e1366rt.html

Would i be better off buying an upgraded fan that pushes upwards of 100cfm through the heatsink?

All advice is appreciated

thanks!

It all depends on how much Overclocking you want to do. The fan that comes with it is a great fan that I feel has a great balance between noise and CFM. I hate loud fans so I would vote against the 100+cfm fan, but like I said before it all depends on how much you want to overclock.

Just get the kit, OC and see if your happy with said speed/temps. If not get another fan. You can always put a big *** box fan up to the side of your case to test peak/max performance of said heatsink.

I paid $45 for mine nearly 2 years ago or so. search around for better prices.

I paid $45 for mine nearly 2 years ago or so. search around for better prices.

By the time you buy a fan (S775 version didn't have one) and add in the 1366 bracket, you're right at that price though.

You could keep the stock fan and get a second one for push/pull, if you have the room.

Axis

put two scythe ultra kaze in a push pull configuration, and then bolt your case to the desk so it doesn't blow away. i don't care if my case is loud, as long as i get the most performance... you could install some foam if you want both the performance and quiet...

Thanks for all the advice! I've seen a couple fans which were 100+ cfm which ran under 20db... That might be the route to go if i dont like the performance of the stock fan

Also you can get the Noctua NF-P12 1300 Premium Fan. AMAZING fan. ONE of these is plenty as long as your lapped.

Also how does push/pull work better? Its still moving the same air, just in tandem.

One of my Friends kids is an engineer who specializes in large scale HVAC systems for huge high rises. He said he couldn't see any advantage from this set up. Says it is just equalizing the load of the two fans equally and nothing more. makes sense when you think about it too. I would love to see a single vs push/pull test.

Last edited:
Also how does push/pull work better? Its still moving the same air, just in tandem.

One of my Frieds kids is an engineer who specializes in large scale HVAC systems for huge high rises. He said he couldn't see any advantage from this set up. Says it is just equalizing the load of the two fans equally and nothing more. makes sense when you think about it too. I would love to see a single vs push/pull test.

Its just a few C better with a second fan. At least from past tests that I've seen. It helps but sometimes its not worth it at the same time.

One of my Frieds kids is an engineer who specializes in large scale HVAC systems for huge high rises. He said he couldn't see any advantage from this set up. Says it is just equalizing the load of the two fans equally and nothing more. makes sense when you think about it too. I would love to see a single vs push/pull test.
There is definitely a temperature drop. If you ask your friend (and I hope he agrees here!), air takes the path of least resistance.

The distance from the sides of the heatsink is less than going through to the other side, meaning the sides have less resistance. I've noticed this many times with both of the TRUE's that I own, if I have one fan, I have quite a bit of air coming out the sides of the heatsink instead of the back. When you add another fan in the pull configuration, it creates a negative pressure on the "back" of the heatsink, which now has less resistance than the sides and pulls air COMPLETELY through the heatsink. Since more air is moved over more of the heatsink, more heat can be dissipated.

Also, fans in series have greater pressure; add a very restrictive heatsink such as the TRUE, and you will have an increase of airflow through the heatsink. That also lowers temps.

Back to personal experience. I see about a 5c between 1 or 2 fans (same make/model/voltage), so it does help.

You'll knock off about 2 deg C with a push-pull setup. The deeper fans (120x32 or 120x38, etc.) as opposed to 120x25) give better cooling because they produce greater air pressure at the heat sink face. This is probably more important than cfm ratings, especially with heat sinks that have plates stacked closely together. Silverstone makes a nice 120x32 fan with a variable speed controller for under $20 from NewEgg.

Have you measured the depth of your case to make sure the TRUE will fit in. Like most tower coolers made for a 120mm fan the TRUE is tall. It won't quite fit in most mid tower cases. Most mid tower cases are a smidgen over 8" deep from side to side. The TRUE requires a case about 8.5 inches from side to side to allow the TRUE to fit in without modification of the case's side panel. I had to modify mine to fit my TRUE in. NO big deal. I don't regret it. The TRUE is the best, at least if you lap it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice! I've seen a couple fans which were 100+ cfm which ran under 20db... That might be the route to go if i dont like the performance of the stock fan
No no no. Don't get any of those fans. Those specs are flatout lies. 100CFM @ 20dBa in the next room over behind a wall maybe. :p

Given your apparent inexperience with fans, I'd just pick up a Yate Loon D12SM if you want something cheap and good - reasonable comprimise between air and noise, though I prefer the low-speed version.

Thanks for the input guys. I want to try a 2nd fan for the heck of it. I have the true with the fan mount, wonder if I can interweave two of those snazzy fan mounts together? I already got the Noctua in place of the true fan. YES do lap it, it is horrible that for that kind of loot they can't run a freakin' lathe across the bottom?

case-20.jpg

case-23.jpg

case-19.jpg

case-18.jpg

case-47.jpg

case-48.jpg

Would the mothers have a negative effect on thermal conductivity? I mean the shine of your heatsink doesn't affect the thermal conductivity from your processor to the heatsink, but wouldn't the mother increase the thermal resistance being it isn't actual tim?

Would the mothers have a negative effect on thermal conductivity? I mean the shine of your heatsink doesn't affect the thermal conductivity from your processor to the heatsink, but wouldn't the mother increase the thermal resistance being it isn't actual tim?

Not at all when you use ArtiClean Thermal Metal Purifier prior to installation.

ONEBADMK8, you can install 2 of fan holders on the TRUE, but it's very hard to do while inside a normal case. You would be better off using the wire clips on the side closer to the back on the board (side with the i/o ports). And yes, you will definitely see a slight increase in cooling with the TRUE when going push-pull with 2 fans. I have tested this personally. I'm pretty sure this is due to the fin density of the heatsink combined with the low max static air pressure of the quieter fans we normally try to use to keep noise to a minimum.

My case is the Thermaltake Spedo Advance, it's huge. I wouldn't have any fitment issues. Thanks for the advice and tips. Ill pick another Noctua 1200 and Ill call Thermalright to order just a holder.

case-36.jpg

Oh I forgot to ask. Whats the maximum speed my cpu fan can go. All I can find is 1440 rpm's? Why?

Oh I forgot to ask. Whats the maximum speed my cpu fan can go. All I can find is 1440 rpm's? Why?

Might be it, what does the box say? Can you hook it to a molex and see if it's faster?

1440 is considered about or a bit more than medium RPM.

If it's connected to your Mobo and you have fan adjustement siftware, lower the max temp and increase the max %% to the fan.

Back