• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SpeedFan Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blue 83

98a5cj.jpg

Can some tell me what "Temp #3" is??? Because it gets REALLY REALLY HOT when I run any kind of stress test...

Probably either the PWM or chipset temp.

PWN??? Not sure what that is....

because anytime I run Orthos/Prime 95, "Temp #3" goes from a 22C (idle), straight up to 127C, as soon as I start the stress test???

No matter what it is, 127C is WAY TO HOT! Especially if its the chipset. Im trying to figure out what "Temp #3" is, so I can start figuring what to do about it.

If it is the north/south bridge, what are my options? Put a different heat sink on it? If it is running 127C, is there any hope at all?

The computer seems to run fine though. I see no problems coming from it as of right now. Untill my mobo burns up!:cry:

Last edited:
If it jumps immediately, it is not really a sensor.

Yea within 5 seconds from starting Orthos, it will shoot from 22C to 127C. But once it hits 127C, is never goes up or down. Just stays at 127C untill I stop Orthos???

Yea within 5 seconds from starting Orthos, it will shoot from 22C to 127C. But once it hits 127C, is never goes up or down. Just stays at 127C untill I stop Orthos???
If it jumps immediately, it is not really a sensor.
No, it is bugged, ignore.

If you want, feel around the board (don't touch), if you find something hotter than boiling water, you found it (you won't find anything).

No, it is bugged, ignore.

If you want, feel around the board (don't touch), if you find something hotter than boiling water, you found it (you won't find anything).

Hmm, makes me feel a lil better. I almost was thinking it could be some kind of speedfan bug to. What other kind of software/program can I download that will show me the temps of my north/south bridge so I can see if that program is reading them at real high temps also???

Hmm, makes me feel a lil better. I almost was thinking it could be some kind of speedfan bug to. What other kind of software/program can I download that will show me the temps of my north/south bridge so I can see if that program is reading them at real high temps also???
Honestly have no suggestion except the one that came with the motherboard (if it came with any).

Either the tool that came with your board, Everest (not free), or GPU-Z (for your 4870's).

I know that the PWM/voltage regulator chips on these cards can get extremely hot, but 110C is about where they max out with essentially no cooling, so unless your card's heatsink was mounted wrong it's probably just speedfan reading it incorrectly. This is most-likely the case as that kind of jump in such a short time period isn't really realistic for working components.

If you've installed aftermarket heatsinks on the videocards, make sure the PWM chips are sinked or they will pop given enough heat. They're the 3-4 tiny black squares next to the large V-Tec chip. With my HR-03GT I ended up sinking mine and strapping a second fan to the card just to keep them at 50-60C.

If you haven't replaced stock cooling then check your temps in GPU-Z to make sure nothing is going too high, though I suspect it's just speedfan reading things incorrectly.

Either the tool that came with your board, Everest (not free), or GPU-Z (for your 4870's).

I know that the PWM/voltage regulator chips on these cards can get extremely hot, but 110C is about where they max out with essentially no cooling, so unless your card's heatsink was mounted wrong it's probably just speedfan reading it incorrectly. This is most-likely the case as that kind of jump in such a short time period isn't really realistic for working components.

If you've installed aftermarket heatsinks on the videocards, make sure the PWM chips are sinked or they will pop given enough heat. They're the 3-4 tiny black squares next to the large V-Tec chip. With my HR-03GT I ended up sinking mine and strapping a second fan to the card just to keep them at 50-60C.

If you haven't replaced stock cooling then check your temps in GPU-Z to make sure nothing is going too high, though I suspect it's just speedfan reading things incorrectly.

Ok so your saying that "Temp #3" speedfan is showing is my PWN temp? So its my video cards that are getting hot? I am running 2 EVGA 8800GTS (512) in SLI in that machine with stock cooling.

Ok so your saying that "Temp #3" speedfan is showing is my PWN temp? So its my video cards that are getting hot? I am running 2 EVGA 8800GTS (512) in SLI in that machine with stock cooling.
Let me explain my reasoning for thinking it is false.

When you load up Orthos (CPU/Mem stressing program), it immediately hits 127c. If something was putting out enough heat to jump that far, why did it stop at 127c? That doesn't make any sense.

Let me explain my reasoning for thinking it is false.

When you load up Orthos (CPU/Mem stressing program), it immediately hits 127c. If something was putting out enough heat to jump that far, why did it stop at 127c? That doesn't make any sense.

Yea I have done came to conclusion that it is some kind of false reading. BUT, I still would like to know what the "Temp #3" is:bang head

Yea I have done came to conclusion that it is some kind of false reading. BUT, I still would like to know what the "Temp #3" is:bang head
It is nothing, Speedfan *thinks* it sees a sensor, but it isn't. When you load up the computer, the value of this "sensor" changes and it maxes out the temp (Speed fan doesn't go above 127c). It is nothing but a bug, you can ignore it.

I've had sensors read in the -50c range on some boards and you know for sure it wasn't running that cold ;)

It is nothing, Speedfan *thinks* it sees a sensor, but it isn't. When you load up the computer, the value of this "sensor" changes and it maxes out the temp (Speed fan doesn't go above 127c). It is nothing but a bug, you can ignore it.

I've had sensors read in the -50c range on some boards and you know for sure it wasn't running that cold ;)

When a sensor don't really exist, it's common to have 0 C. (32 F)

Back