• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help diagnosing random lockups plz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zx2Slow

Central Pennsylvania/Southern New Hampshire
I just put together a new core i7 system:

i7 920
Rampage II Extreme (1001 BIOS)
G.Skill PI 6GB DDR3 1600
2x WD 7200.11 500GB in RAID 0 (ICH10R)
2x eVGA 8800 GTS (G92) 512 MB (Forceware 181)
PC Power and cooling T12W 1200W PSU

This setup is watercooled, Swiftech GTZ CPU block, Swiftech NBMAX north bridge cooler, HWlabs GTS triple radiator, DDC pump with a XSPC top, 7/16" tubing all around.

The OS is XP 64bit.

What I know:
Power is good, nothing out of the ordinary.
Cooling is good, 33C idle 44C load.
Not overclocked yet, letting it burn in at stock speeds.

What I don't know:
Is this hardware or software

Well, what seems to be causing the "lock-ups," and what happens when it "locks up?" Be more descriptive in what is happening with the system and what is causing it. Does this happen with every application that you open or only with a specific program?

Things to consider:

-Are your drivers installed properly? If so, are they intended to be used with XP 64bit?
-When you say "Power is good" does that indicate that you are monitoring your voltages and they appear to be within acceptable ranges of variance?
-What burn in software are you using? (goes with the first comment I made about lockups)

Things that most likely will cause this:
-Bad Memory, run memtest at least 200% coverage (2 passes minimum) on all of your sticks simultaneously. Also, test each module one at a time and in each slot/module.
-Bad PSU. This will be most likely indicated by poor voltage regulation, a bad odor...burning...hot psu...trouble booting etc.
-bad hard drive reads, do a check disk (complete)
-Software issues
-Driver incompatability issues

There are many other potential causes. Also, go into the bios and make sure all of your settings appear to be as they should (cpu voltage especially).

Just to add to GameSinewPCs' post, since we replied at the same time. You'll need to be more specific as to when exactly the lock-ups occur. Do they occur at random times and while in the GUI, or before Windows loads? Is the CPU under a load when they occur, like when playing a game, running Prime, etc.? Is AHCI enabled in the BIOS (if it is, disable it and reinstall Windows)? Which RAID drivers did you load during Setup? Were there any problems during the initial install? What's the Vcore (Core Voltage) set to in the BIOS... AUTO? What's the current Vcore in Windows (w/ CPU-Z open, and showing the current Core Voltage)?

They have occurred at random, never in a game though. I usually have WinTV and Firefox running, it does not appear to be application dependent.

My drivers are installed properly and are intended for XP64, I am monitoring the power and it is good. I am Monitoring the cooling and it is good. I can pass a run thru super PI 32M. I am not using any "burn in" software, just letting the machine run at stock settings for a while.

I had a single lockup at the windows lockup screen, and multiple lockups while at the desktop.

The CPU voltage is at 1.168 under load, my multiplier jumps to 21, at idle my multiplier drops and so does the voltage to 1.100, it seems to be workign properly with the standard core i7 c state throttling.

Memtest was run overnight and it passed. PSU is not the issue. Hard drives are good. The CPU voltage is stock as are all bios settings (AUTO).

Does it pass IntelBurnTest or Prime? Check the Event Viewer logs for any critical errors that occurred at the time of the lock-ups and / or BSOD's, and post the last couple of errors in this thread. Copy and paste (use the "Copy to Clipboard" button under the arrow buttons in the "Event Properties" window) these error message(s) as they appear under the "Description" field.

After you hit the "Copy to Clipboard" button in the "Event Properties" dialog, the contents in the Description field will be copied to the ClipBook Viewer (ClipBoard). You can then just paste the contents into your post, as there is no Edit-->Select All-->Copy function in ClipBook. In addition you could type clipbrd in the Run box, which will open the ClipBook Viewer containing the copied text from the Event Properties dialog... then perform a File-->Save As, and save the file with a *.txt extension. You could then perform a Edit-->Select All, then do a copy/paste of the text in your new post... so you have a couple different options.

Also, open the System Information tool by typing msinfo32 in the Run box | Expand "Components" | Highlight "Problem Devices", and look for any problems that might be listed there.

How many instances of memtest did you run? It only allots to a certain amount of memory at a time usually 2GB. So make sure you run multiple instances simultaneously so that you are utilizing all of your system memory. Also, when it locks up what happens, do you need to restart or is it a random system glitch then continues to function properly. Keep a system monitor up while working and see what happens to cpu/memory usage when your system "locks."

Ran a dozen passes thru memtest86, this is the result of 5 passes thru intel burn test v1.9:

Stress levels available:
1 - Maximum stress
2 - Half stress (uses 1/2 of available memory)
3 - Low stress (uses 1/4 of available memory)
4 - Customize stress level

Please select desired stress level> 1
Using maximum available memory to stress test (5379 MB).

Enter the number of times to run the test (5 or more recommended)> 5
----------------------------------------------------
Executing Intel(R) Linpack 64-bit mode...
Linpack test results - Residual(norm) values
3.411298e-002
3.411298e-002
3.411298e-002
3.411298e-002
3.411298e-002
Testing finished in 2050.672 seconds.
Tests passed: 5 out of 5 (100.000%)
Conclusion: Your PC has successfully passed Linpack testing.

I think at this point its not hardware related, ill keep an eye on the event log, hopefully I will see something, if not ill try a full reinstall.

Im going to have to update my temps as the AS5 cures and I am using real temp now.
Core # Idle/Max Load:
Core 0 28/46C
Core 1 25/43C
Core 2 30/47C
Core 3 23/40C

System lock-ups tend to be driver related. If its running on a clean install then try uninstalling/reinstalling your base drivers (to the most updated versions if not already). And also try a fresh install of windows then drivers.

You mentioned WinTV, is this a tv-card you have using this program?
I'm currently having some problem with my x58 platforms and random lockups,
and I have a tv-card that might be responsible for the problems.
I have yet to iron out the problems,and I have 3 different add-in cards that are suspected of causing the problems, the most probable is the pci-e tv-card or my pci-e raid controller.
The lock-ups (just plain freeze, no bsod) happen during loading windows (progress bar) or any time after that at any time.
Sometimes the computer is on for hours or days without anything happening, and sometimes it locks upp only after running a minute or two.
Prime tests pass without problems.
Note that the lockups done coinside with any use of the card (harddrive access on raid controller or tv viewing), it is completly random.

I suggest trying to disable cpu sleep settings in bios, there are a lot of settings for x58 motherboards that apply to this like chipset sleep settings, cpu sleep settings and sleep modes, pci-e power saving stuff etc.
I just got a new bios update that I will install tonight, in which Intel has disabled cpu c-state by default (some kind of power stepping), probably for stabillity reasons.

Just to be sure, uninstall any drivers you have for suspicous cards and see if you still get lockups.
I never had any before I installed the drivers for these to cards.

Back