• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brad Brooks you are an ignorate moron.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

"Brooks also took the chance to boast Windows' ubiquity, saying, "Windows provides a level of application and device compatibility you simply don’t get with Linux. Windows works with everyday programs like Microsoft Office and popular applications like Apple’s iTunes and Microsoft’s Zune, PC games like “World of Warcraft,” and a host of others. It also works with the largest set of printers, digital cameras and other devices. Linux doesn’t come close to doing any of these things."

wow....This man oozes inexperience, and ignorance.

Microsoft works with microsoft and other stuff from microsoft ya baby ya!!

I read that from here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-netbooks-xp-vista,6974.html

Notice he doesn't say that Windows eats itself into slow crapness. It still uses prehistorical things such as...what was that thing called...oh yes a "registry" and it saves drivers...Oh and it takes an hour to install...and it doesn't transfer to another computer. And you can't use one boot device for several computers, and it doesn't clone, and it sucks up viruses like there's no tomorrow, and it corrupts itself, and its slow, and its expensive, and its unstable, and it is in constant need of upgrading, patching, and fixing, and it has unhelpful blue screens for everything.

People don't use Linux for the same reason they don't fix their own computers. Don't know how, and to lazy to learn. They would rather spend 350+ bucks for a half assed OS that has been spoon fed to them.

nuff said =/

Rather than respond to everything here, I'm going to say that you are right about a lot and wrong about some of the things you said there. That is to say, I agree with most and disagree with some of the points that you made.

Regards,

A Windows user, not because i'm lazy or paid a tone of money, but because I like it.

I read that from here: Tom's Hardware

nuff said =/

Sorry for cutting up your post like that. Wouldn't be as funny if I did not.
No reason to bash the guy. He is paid/conscripted to write what he is told to. Least he did not outright lie. He just fluffed the article to 'make it readable.' Which is one reason I like to line up THG with The Enquirer. Entertaining reading to me. Sometimes there is a nugget of data here and there worth expanding on further and researching. Most of the time, I just ignore it.

Oh and the point you made about patching. Linux gets patched all the time, some facets of Linux go through 6 month update[upgrade] cycles.. It just happens much faster usually than Windows. It has it's own set of issues also. Look on any major Linux distro bug tracker.

Last edited:
Nice rant; dumb statement (by him).

Still, a person on a game i play and i were discussing linux they asked why should they install linux on their computer over windows when they aren't having any problems and they mostly use the computer for gaming.

While i love linux, his point is valid. It came on his computer, it works with everything (i mean perhiphials) and isn't causing him problems.

Realy there's no need for him to switch. I told him I make my own computers, and don't get free copies of windows, and I use older hardware, thus I use linux to make the most of my equiptment.

Windows is for games. (only reason I have it =) Linux is for everything else.

Linux better hurry up and speed things up. The speed gain it has over Windows is slowing. A lot of us in work used Linux for the speed. Now with 7, its not that noticeable anymore. There disc transfers speeds have gone to **** lately, ever since 2.6.22 kernel

Something struck me as hella funny about spelling ignorant wrong in the thread title :) Must be irony or something.

Methal buddy, you notice how it's rare for Windows users to attack those who choose Linux or other OSes, yet you guys attack us somewhat often? How about stopping that :p

Linux better hurry up and speed things up. The speed gain it has over Windows is slowing. A lot of us in work used Linux for the speed. Now with 7, its not that noticeable anymore. There disc transfers speeds have gone to **** lately, ever since 2.6.22 kernel

Change flavors. There are quite a few that are almost instant boots. DSL is pretty fast, its also small enough to be installed on a flash drive. I use it at work to dd_rescue drives.

There is one other version that I can't remember the name of. Its not as pretty as the others, but going from login to up and running is fast. Like "poof" you're there fast.

I've also read that Gentoo and LFS are extremely fast. They aren't much for beginners though.

Take a look here if you are interested in fast: http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS8942465787.html

and this might be of some interest to you: http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7848919863.html

Also the Asus Eee has a 5 second boot. its using a combination of Fedora, and Moblim2.

Last edited:
you want to see fast? boot kolibri. Its almost instant on. Its not overly pretty but its more then functional with web browser, telnet a few games etc etc. And when I say fast my fiance turned away and looked back and said "i missed it?"

I just read something about about that.

Supposedly (if you change "elevators" something about not running CFQ) XFS is much faster than the other File systems. Might be worth looking into if you are running linux.

Nothing wrong with choosing one OS over the other. Windows has its advantages and I would not call it "expensive." a hundred dollars for an OS is hardly over priced. (I have not seen a $350 dollar version of windows yet that was not a server edition)

More HW/SW support. Easier setup and I have yet to install Linux and configure it in less time than windows. (Unless you are referring to just installing the OS and not updating your drivers in Linux, which you can do a lot of the time with windows as well)

Having said all that, I have no problems running Linux or Unix when the situation demands its. (I use a really old SPARC chipset designed software at work that requires a HPUX 10, and my Boss only surfs the web and downloads movies, so Linux works for him, although for some reason Mandriva does not burn readable data DVDs :S) And when he has problems with his computer, guess who has to fix it :) (Although much less trouble with the linux box than the windows box his son has, although we are comparing a one user to a 4+ user computer...)

Something struck me as hella funny about spelling ignorant wrong in the thread title :) Must be irony or something.

Methal buddy, you notice how it's rare for Windows users to attack those who choose Linux or other OSes, yet you guys attack us somewhat often? How about stopping that :p

LMAO I got a nice kick out of that. I totally agree! After all we are not talking ati/nVidia Intel/AMD here ;)

Read the Moblin2 article, looks great! It might give linux an edge in embedded applications too.
Thought this comment was funny:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Hey, that's the beauty of open source, eh? No walls, Windows, or Gates (heh).[/FONT]

More HW/SW support. Easier setup and I have yet to install Linux and configure it in less time than windows. (Unless you are referring to just installing the OS and not updating your drivers in Linux, which you can do a lot of the time with windows as well)

Most of the drivers are rolled in. There really is only one or two drivers to install. Unless you need 3D or specialized wireless. This part can be easy to skip.

Usually, I can redo my system from disc boot to pull disk out in 14 minutes. That is a full install. I am fully operational with all my personal tweaks in places, 3D drivers and OS updates in under an hour. I can actually finish under 45 minutes and do so regularly. I am referring to being all done. Nothing left but to enjoy however long until the next install.
Yes, that is a full install not imaging or from backups. I use compiz, AWN an other user usability enhancements (some are fun eye candy) too. I also like to keep my IM, mail and browser settings too. Since I usually surf/IM while the machine is reinstalling.

I wish installing Windows was that fast without a remastered disc or imaging. How fast or slow Linux is. Really depends on what modules are being loaded and bloat it may have.

Last edited:
Most of the drivers are rolled in. There really is only one or two drivers to install. Unless you need 3D or specialized wireless. This part can be easy to skip.

Usually, I can redo my system from disc boot to pull disk out in 14 minutes. That is a full install. I am fully operational with all my personal tweaks in places, 3D drivers and OS updates in under an hour. I can actually finish under 45 minutes and do so regularly. I am referring to being all done. Nothing left but to enjoy however long until the next install.
Yes, that is a full install not imaging or from backups. I use compiz, AWN an other user usability enhancements (some are fun eye candy) too. I also like to keep my IM, mail and browser settings too. Since I usually surf/IM while the machine is reinstalling.

I wish installing Windows was that fast without a remastered disc or imaging. How fast or slow Linux is. Really depends on what modules are being loaded and bloat it may have.

On my fiance's laptop Mint 6 XFCE litterally installs in 6 minutes from the time you double click on the desktop install button to the time you hit the reboot button. Updates may take a bit depending on what you have installed and how current but, I can use the computer while its installing. As well Windows you have to install an office suite, firefox (unless you actually LIKE I.E.), Windows Live (unless you are talking windows 7), and a host of other tools which all have been installed by default in linux.

Granted, you may have to reboot once for your graphics card (if you are too lazy to restart gdm) but overall I did a side by side comparison, Mint 5 gnome vs windows 7. Same computer, Windows 7 took 48 minutes to get into the OS from the time you hit install. Mint 5, 17 minutes. Wireless drivers worked out of the box with the 2.6.27.11 kernel, all i had to do was hit the check box to enable. All the programs installed with one command with no cd switching.

However, I will give you this, if you are on slow internet windows will get to full functionality most likely faster. Give the same broadband speeds however linux wins hands down and you dont even have to sit there to switch the cds :)

The 14 minutes includes POST / remove disc. The actual install is much faster. The disc takes a bit to read pn boot.
I got everything on my Raptor and an ok fast ROM. Have to wait out the board to POST the hardwares and all that jazz.

I soooo wish Windows had the ability to REISUB. You could shave a bit off the reload times. When I was near full time Windows. I had a number of batch files and automated reg entries. Where I had most of my personal tweaks automated.
Now I just do not wipe certain partitions whilst using Linux. Near abut the same cncept. But not having to mess with drivers. Makes stuff soo much faster.

Yes, I include waiting for the machine to reboot in the times that I quote/ I am in front of it waiting. Since the machine does not magically time warp during the reboot. lmao

One of my favorite parts about linux is that I can leave it on for as long as I want and not have to worry about any slow down's, or have to restart.
I am about done taking an operating systems class at my collage, and I can say that the linux kernal itself is just amazing and very intelligently built.
I love linux, but the lack of games is what kills me. I have my HDD divided into two partitions, a 60gig linux and a 500+gig windows, I thourughly believe that my windows partition will fill up before the linux one does

Yeah, spelling errors happen, I noticed that two seconds after posting, No editing titles though.

as for your next paragraph...what is there to attack? Linux is superior in every way. If its all about gaming to you, then you might be surprised to read that i've yet to find a game i CAN'T play in Linux. True enough it is, that most do not play out of the box in Linux, but you'll have the same problem with vista/vista 64. Try playing a classic, like D2, Starcraft, Wolfenstein, or Doom1/2. (all ID games play out of the box in linux, but do not in vista Windows 7, 32 or 64 bit. Regardless of how up-to-date, or Old the Linux install is, they just work.)

But then again, ignorance is bliss. One can not attack something one knows nothing about.

Mechwarrior 2 and all it's expansions.
It has never, and will never work in Linux. (it's direct3d only, no openGL at all)
You can't run it in DosEMU either.

I haven't tried a VM yet though, that might work.
You have to have DOS and (really should) have Win98se.

"Brooks also took the chance to boast Windows' ubiquity, saying, "Windows provides a level of application and device compatibility you simply don’t get with Linux. Windows works with everyday programs like Microsoft Office and popular applications like Apple’s iTunes and Microsoft’s Zune, PC games like “World of Warcraft,” and a host of others. It also works with the largest set of printers, digital cameras and other devices. Linux doesn’t come close to doing any of these things."

wow....This man oozes inexperience, and ignorance.

Microsoft works with microsoft and other stuff from microsoft ya baby ya!!

I read that from here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-7-netbooks-xp-vista,6974.html

Notice he doesn't say that Windows eats itself into slow crapness. It still uses prehistorical things such as...what was that thing called...oh yes a "registry" and it saves drivers...Oh and it takes an hour to install...and it doesn't transfer to another computer. And you can't use one boot device for several computers, and it doesn't clone, and it sucks up viruses like there's no tomorrow, and it corrupts itself, and its slow, and its expensive, and its unstable, and it is in constant need of upgrading, patching, and fixing, and it has unhelpful blue screens for everything.

People don't use Linux for the same reason they don't fix their own computers. Don't know how, and to lazy to learn. They would rather spend 350+ bucks for a half assed OS that has been spoon fed to them.

nuff said =/

Half assed? I would say Windows is no more than one-third assed in its present generation.

However, again I agree with you in the spoon feeding. Yes I like to be spoon fed Microsoft products and when I go buy a game it says it will work on my one third assed OS 90% of the time provided I defragment, possibly reformat, install new drivers and patches and so forth-- but I still don't have to learn a new OS.

Back