• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comcast being dam slow.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

Our comcast has been soooooooo slow. Pings in the 250-400 range all the time in the eve. Morning and afternoon its find. But at night it sucks.

I have called comcast several times and they give me some BS like we are doing updates what ever. Well this is been going on for 4 months now.

I called them last week. They sent someone out. Everthing was working fine at the time and the dude said "good thing everthing is working fine now other wise I would of had to charge you"
What the heck? they want to charge me when their service is not working right?
I don't understand.

Any ideas on how to get the ball rolling to fix this issue? It sucks not being able to play games and getting kicked cause of high pings all the time.

Thanks

408692499.png
408691059.png

Last edited:
The sad thing is. They only guarantee service, not speeds. Another sad thing on ping times. Once it leaves their service. They can say it is not their fault. Broadband starts at a paltry 128kbps. So they are probably not afoul in advertising it as so.

I had a run in with my provider a while back. I was getting ads on tv for up to 15Mbp/s and the rep whom I was speaking to. Pretty much called me a liar. Saying that was not true, they only go up to 8. So the next rep who I spoke to. Had the supervisor call the next day. I already called the PUCO and state AG on that. I did however get some perks instead of suing them. Yeah, the service was that bad. Plus it made me sort of angry waiting on the phone hearing lies for over 8 hours. I think the state AG told me, sort of fuzzy now.. But my issue was fixed and I got relief.. The reps cannot deceive you, as to retain you being a customer. Saying it is something which is knowingly not true, constitutes fraud. Being the accuser. You have to prove that.
Your locale may have something similar or no protections of the sort. Might be worth it to check into. While getting others like minded to do so as well. YMMV on this angle.

Is there other providers for your area? I myself wish there was more options for me. I got cable or dialup.

Is there other providers for your area? I myself wish there was more options for me. I got cable or dialup.

So in other words a high ping, nothing I can do? What If I called the FCC? They gotta have something to do with this.

I would love to go somewhere else but Quest only offeres SLOW DSL

I would try a new cat cable and a coaxial cable. And a modem reset of course.

Have does not fix issue.

hank, did the tech measure the DB loss on the line? if i had any guess, you're on some splitter that hits a ton of subscribers, and when people get online after hours it could be hitting it hard.

and i'm shocked the guy didnt charge you, those dudes get paid by the house not the hr. my brother got his cable setup and that was all when he got his service not too long ago, dude made sure his cable was working and gave him the modem. i had to come over and help him fix it, because the tech's were suggesting they get another Ethernet cable from a neighbor to test. what a joke..... i soft reset the modem and i was surfing in minutes.

sorry if i missed this, but are you connect with a router? if so, try connecting your computer straight to the cable modem then do a speed test. also you don't have their "economy" internet do you? if so, those speeds are about all you are going to get.

sorry if i missed this, but are you connect with a router? if so, try connecting your computer straight to the cable modem then do a speed test. also you don't have their "economy" internet do you? if so, those speeds are about all you are going to get.

i doubt economy would have that upload rate he's getting.

i doubt economy would have that upload rate he's getting.

I was having similar issues. Having normal upload speeds and screwed download and high pings. I was soo miffed... Enough, where I was willing to go to court over it.

They only guarantee service not speeds. As for pings, once it leaves their network. They can just say."Not on our network, nothing we can do."

hank I wish I could offer more help. You are going to have to either rule out your side of it, find another provider or simply hope the engineers get on the ball. If you can poll your surrounding neighbors. Find out if the service is just as bad. I suspect it probably is.

The FCC is not as good as calling your state(or local) AG and asking about your consumer rights. Some states have pretty good protections in place. Also you may be protected under your Public Utilities Commission. For my state I got PUCO, which is Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.

Another avenue to go to. Is who holds the ability to franchise for your service. Most of the time. It is your city. Unless they lobbied to go state wide. Since they might be breaking the franchise agreement. This might be a angle to look at.

Last edited:
hank, did the tech measure the DB loss on the line? if i had any guess, you're on some splitter that hits a ton of subscribers, and when people get online after hours it could be hitting it hard.

and i'm shocked the guy didnt charge you, those dudes get paid by the house not the hr. my brother got his cable setup and that was all when he got his service not too long ago, dude made sure his cable was working and gave him the modem. i had to come over and help him fix it, because the tech's were suggesting they get another Ethernet cable from a neighbor to test. what a joke..... i soft reset the modem and i was surfing in minutes.

There does not seem to be any loss in the line. Had them test it several times. I'm sure the issue is they don't have enough line coming in so tons of people are running off the same cable line.

economy no its suppose to be like 10 meg cable. Even right into the modem it drags ***.

@ Enablingwolf
Whats the best way to find the franchise holder? And even in there network i can say for sure the ping would be super high.

This makes me want to "fix a modem" so it I can get the speeds i'm suppose to.

just a tip, those guys get the modems at dirt cheap prices.

this is why they let you "rent" the modems. when you're finished with it and need to return it, they will use it at a 2nd, third, or even more times to a customer. the provided modems suck and they offer nothing more than a paperweight :) ever since i got my D-Link modem.. ive had no dropped connections, or anything other than service outages due to nothing on my end.

It is highly dependent on the area. I would start at the city level and find out from there.

Here is a google search, for what I would look for:

Strongsville Time Warner Franchise agreement
Adjust the query to your needs.

You should find something along the way to help you. It will show if it is a state wide thing or local to your city or a metro alliance.Then you can call/contact the authority to find out if they are in violation of that agreement. Or begin to seek relief. It would be a good start for the gripe fest you are going to have.

<snip>
Even right into the modem it drags ***.
</snip>

You may have a bad router.

i barely caught this but he did try directly into the modem so that should cancel out the router being the problem.

have you tried a different computer directly into the modem? if another computer is showing the same results, then it very well could be a bad modem.

I'm gonna see if I can find a different modem to try. The router is good. They have tested the modem and it seems to be fine.

Should I just get a modem like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122003

And if i plug it in am i going to have to call comcast and have them active it?

yes, you will probably just have to call them and give them the MAC address of the new modem so they will allow it to sync on the network.

yup, what bently said, they provision your modems per mac address. plug it in, call comcast, have a beer or 10 while you're on hold! and don't get off the phone until you're satisfied.

It is really easy to get a modem provisioned for the service. Long as there is no horrible hold times and the rep knows the process to do it. No reason there should be any issues getting a provision.
They will also instruct you how to return the company modem. If not, ask how to go about returning it.... VERY important. Get a receipt when you do turn it in!!

Back