• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTX oc edtition Vs HD4870 512

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dylz

Registered
Hi guys,

I've got an ASUS P5N32-E SLI board atm and have the option to install either 2x 8800GTX's in SLI mode or a single HD4870 512 Card, I'm running 4gb of ram with a Q6600,

I'm curious which would run better?

Hi guys,

I've got an ASUS P5N32-E SLI board atm and have the option to install either 2x 8800GTX's in SLI mode or a single HD4870 512 Card, I'm running 4gb of ram with a Q6600,

I'm curious which would run better?

Well, I'd probably say that the 4870 was a better use of money, if they're the same price, go 4870, if you can save money, then maybe the 8800GTX, but I know I had nothing but problems with SLI, and well, that one or two times that SLI doesn't work in a game always seem to pop up for me, and I'm sure you'll end up seeing it. I know in SOME games it actually ran SLOWER of all things...

If I had to pick of all the cards out there, I'd say the 4870 or the 216, both cards are great value, the new 216 actually comes with mirror's edge (if you get the 231$ one off of newegg).

If your budget allows for it, I'd get that. Free game, easily worth the extra 30$, and you get physX support for the few current and undoubtedly many future titles that will support it. But it really is a toss up, pick your side. I'd recommend against getting another 8800GTX, though. Sell your current one if you can here in the classifieds, heck, the guy with the post right beneath yours wants a 75$ budget card. Maybe you can sell it to him. :) I know I'd take an 8800GTX for 75$, but currently, I wouldn't recommend SLI... but if it was really cheap I'd do it for kicks.

What kind of prices are available to you currently for the cards you're considering?

Well, I'd probably say that the 4870 was a better use of money, if they're the same price, go 4870, if you can save money, then maybe the 8800GTX, but I know I had nothing but problems with SLI, and well, that one or two times that SLI doesn't work in a game always seem to pop up for me, and I'm sure you'll end up seeing it. I know in SOME games it actually ran SLOWER of all things...

If I had to pick of all the cards out there, I'd say the 4870 or the 216, both cards are great value, the new 216 actually comes with mirror's edge (if you get the 231$ one off of newegg).

If your budget allows for it, I'd get that. Free game, easily worth the extra 30$, and you get physX support for the few current and undoubtedly many future titles that will support it. But it really is a toss up, pick your side. I'd recommend against getting another 8800GTX, though. Sell your current one if you can here in the classifieds, heck, the guy with the post right beneath yours wants a 75$ budget card. Maybe you can sell it to him. :) I know I'd take an 8800GTX for 75$, but currently, I wouldn't recommend SLI... but if it was really cheap I'd do it for kicks.

What kind of prices are available to you currently for the cards you're considering?

I'm currently running an older card (7950) so this will be a complete upgrade
I can get the 2x 8800gtx's and the HD4870 for the exact same price $320AUD which works out to be $209USD

I'm currently running an older card (7950) so this will be a complete upgrade
I can get the 2x 8800gtx's and the HD4870 for the exact same price $320AUD which works out to be $209USD

4870 for sure, and I'm an nVidia fan.

A single faster card always beats out SLI. More consistent performance and often times more realized potential, less power usage, also. Oh, and less overall heat output into your case.

I'm a Nvidia fan also, but I would go for the single card solution in this case...

Would be less hassle and probably perform better.

It would perform better, and better more consistently. On top of that, it's one less heat source, and less strain on the PSU, overall, the 4870 is the better bet. And plus you can say you have one the fastest cards on the market, not two cards from third generation product line.

It would perform better, and better more consistently. On top of that, it's one less heat source, and less strain on the PSU, overall, the 4870 is the better bet. And plus you can say you have one the fastest cards on the market, not two cards from third generation product line.

Ok cheers for the input guys :) I think I'll go the HD4870 until I can afford a GTX295 :p

Back