• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speedfan or Real Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

henzo

Real temp reads my cpu 10c hotter than speedfan does. Which one is right?

whichone.jpg

What other temp reading programs would you suggest if these ones are not accurate?

henzo you can try CoreTemp too. It's all about TJMax, frankly I know that i7 have TJMax wrote in MSR and it's 100. For you looks like it 95. :confused:

I changed it to make sure I didnt hit 100c and possibly fry something. I was gonna change it to 80 because I really didnt want my 920 even getting to 80c. From what i've read, all the TJMax is, is the point temperature wise when the cpu begins to throttle itself down so it doesnt burn out form the temps. Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

I ordered an Ultra 120 Extreme that comes with the new fan mount and that will be here on saturday so ill let everyone know how much the temps drop.

You can put it 50 if you like low temperatures but any value you put it will not change distance to TJMax which is straight DTS reading. Throttle/thermal shutdown is triggered based on distance to TJMax not on that arbitrary value of TJMax.

Can you open up the RealTemp Settings window and click on the Defaults button. The default TJMax for all of the i7 920 CPUs I've seen so far is 100C. That information is contained in each Core i7 CPU which RealTemp reads directly from the processors so there isn't too much to argue about any more.

These CPUs run hot as hell. A lot hotter when loaded compared to the previous 45nm generation. I wouldn't run anything less than a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme if I was planning to do any overclocking with one of them.

Leave TJMax at 100C and believe the temperatures RealTemp is telling you. The sensors on the Core i7 are excellent. Your CPU really is running at that temperature. Changing TJMax does not change the actual temperature of your CPU. All you're doing is telling the program to lie to you.

SpeedFan 4.37 is not correctly reading these new CPUs. It shows you have 8 cores when you really have only 4 cores. Core Temp properly supports the Core i7 so try that if you don't trust RealTemp.

Last edited:
I wouldn't run anything less than a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme if I was planning to do any overclocking with one of them.

Glad you said that, I am getting one from the UPS man in a few hours. I had to rma a thermaltake V1-AX cooler as it did NOTHING abou tthe heat except raise the temps lol. Will post temps when I put it on.

Back