• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot hard drives!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capridrifter

Registered
I developed a new problem, Hot hard drives, I know the proper solution is more airflow, and a few hard drive coolers...BUT...

I'm broke. Like I have 20 bucks and thats about it...

I need a ghetto solution to my problem!:bang head

HELP! I already have one dead drive!

Ok I just got back from watching KnightRider *Yes I actually LIKE that show*

I think what I might end up doing is making a box for all six hard drives with the coolers and the suspend them inside the box and then feed air through the box via a filter of some kind, The hard part is how do I get the cables from my raid to my drives???

lol Long round cables? and then set the box by the computer?

Oh and what I found works awesome for suspending parts is extra thick heavy duty rubber bands.

Thanks for the links, My hard drive is still in the freezer waiting for a replacement so I can clone it.

Oh and what I found works awesome for suspending parts is extra thick heavy duty rubber bands.

Thanks for the links, My hard drive is still in the freezer waiting for a replacement so I can clone it.

Just make sure that the rubber does not crack due to heat, or else your freezer trick might not work. :)

Bryan d

lol...

I added a lil fan in there and took the front cover off and the side panel and the temps went down a bit.I need to just put the entire PC in a freezer......

Mine are at 27C. Thankfully the sniper has a 200mm fan blowing on them
Pics? We all like pics;)

Anybody else notice that the colder the hard drive is the better they seem to run? Or is that sorta like a "seat of the pants dyno" it just feels faster...:screwy:

Here is an idea i love to do in minnesota....open ALL the windows and use my room fan to blow the freezing air on it. yeah i know that water can build up and yea i know that water and computers is NOT good. but it is the best i can do in winter, i just don't know what to do in summer...hahaha. This could be a good short term solution. (Cool pic btw).

RE: Rick Jame's Sniper:

I kinda like the industrial look of those cases actually - that and the HAF. Though I got hooked on the industrial look with my Armor. I guess I'm just a fan of boxes that look like they could be in Fallout3.

Plus the dial on the top of that one reminds me of late-90's minivans for some reason.

---

For hard drives really the best thing to do is always give them more airflow.

Capridrifter, where are pics of your current setup? It is a bit difficult to give advice without looking at the problem.

As for hard drives with constricted airflow, here's my server. Well, rather my previous server (I've swapped out the motherboard, processor, and ram; and the video card), but the hard drive bays are the same and I've never had an issue. If any case had a problem with airflow it's that one, considering what I've asked it to do. And, it keeps right on working.

RE: Rick Jame's Sniper:

I kinda like the industrial look of those cases actually - that and the HAF. Though I got hooked on the industrial look with my Armor. I guess I'm just a fan of boxes that look like they could be in Fallout3.

Plus the dial on the top of that one reminds me of late-90's minivans for some reason.

---

For hard drives really the best thing to do is always give them more airflow.

I almost bought the HAF but when i saw the sniper i had to have it. Price ****ing sucks tho

Back