• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To help a risk-adverse friend (helping him get a... prefab)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arklite

Registered
It is an abomination, I know, but I have as yet been unable to get him to commit to building one (...yet.) Just wanted to ask if anyone was aware of any good deals currently going on, or a vendor that you know has treated people well.

Right now I am thinking ibuypower is probably a good choice for him, since it is in his sub $1,000 price range and has good warranty options (which were a concern of his.) Anyone else have any thoughts? I'll be putting the screws to him to have him pony up and build his own rig in the meantime!

I like to check woot.com for deals, it's a bit hit or miss though.

I've bought a refurb off ebay, but i don't recommend it much, my USB, and sound didn't work, and it has only 2 PCI slots so i've got no room for anything else. Though I did get a decent deal, AMD Athlon X2 4200+ and 2 Gb ram 320Gb HDD and a windows install partition, and a hauppauge PVR150 (it was a media center box) I think i paid 300 for it two years ago, and got 35 off that for complaining about the USB not working.

For $1k you should be able to get a nice system, and for the most part pre-builts are fairly good, just make sure it's nicely upgradeable.

FYI: you double posted you naughty blighter.

I know a few people who ordered ibuypower from newegg and I've never heard a complaint about it but if $$ is an issue they are cheaper then ordering everything seperate which is the only reason they decided to get prefabs instead of the building there own, I've never owned a pc that was 100% ordered and put together by me but I'm even considering getting one, the cases are ugly as sin though lol

Take a look at Dell. I got an email this mourning with an Studio XPS with an i7, 6GB's of ram, and 500GB HD for $929. It only came with a 3670, a 4670 was $50, and a 4850 was $150 more.

Back