• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X-Sensors help for Ubuntu Noob.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oakstave

As stated in title thread: Ubuntu Noob. I'm dusting off my 25 year old command line skills and trying to learn a new OS. Lucky for me: My S.O. is an IT admin with C++ and Java skills. She can help interpret your help if I'm too ignorant to figure it out on my own.

So far, I like Ubuntu a lot. I'm shocked this OS has been sitting under my nose and I've been afraid to try it.

This is a folder, in the sig below. I successfully installed FahMon, so I'm feeling a little cocky.

I found X-Sensors, and followed these instructions found on the web:
http://www.bradtrupp.com/ubuntu-cpu-temperature.html

I noticed it's for 7.04, and I'm using 8.04, so this could be the problem.
After following those instructions, everything appeared to work until I launched the program. Nothing happens.

I've repeated the instructions after uninstalling and got the same results. The launcher is in the System Tools, but nothing happens when clicked. All the dependent libraries are in place.

If anyone is feeling charitable and wants to help a Ubuntu newbie learn few things, all I'm looking for is any program to monitor cpu temps. Command line is OK, but I'd prefer a GUI if that's possible.

Here is an easier to follow version. It is not the same packages :rolleyes:, but will get you results. I like the style writing. He is pretty good at seeing points you may like to read on.
http://www.techthrob.com/tech/linuxsensors.php

Yes you can copy/pasta in terminal. It will work in the standard repos for Hardy. Even the Ibex repos I found it to work.
If at any point your stuck.. pasta the output or the point you get stuck.

Last edited:
And it's just that easy. It took me longer to write this thread than it did to solve the problem.

Thanks E.W.!!!!

Back