• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After replacing heatsink the computer will not boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markp1989

not an over clocking question, but i know that people on this forum is full of clever people

the factory cooler on my celeron D was rather loud, so i brought a OCZ Vanquisher CPU cooler, i installed it, and now the computer wont boot.

i press the power button, and the motherboard makes a serieis on long beeps

and now i dont know what to do.

It may have something to do having a CPU connection. I know some Dells were finicky about CPU fans.

Also, if there is an aux cpu power connection (if there is, most likely 4 pin) somewhere around the cpu socket, make sure that it is connected to your power supply (I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to plug that back in after having worked inside my computer.)

Re: help! just replaced heatsink/fan and now comuter wont boot

Thanks for speedy reply, i checked the thing you mentioned, and everythingi s as it should be. but i still have the same problem.

one of you mentioned the 4pin power for the CPU , i tried powering up without that pluged in, it wont start but doesnt beepp without it . after reconecting it. im back where i was before.

i also tried putting on the original heatsink/fan, and it still has the same problems, im worried i may of ****ed the CPU or motherboard up completly :(

any other sugestions

Thanks Markp1989

yeah keep checking ram etc, I installed ram and its not worked and after reseating it a couple of times it has just worked out the blue!

just looking closer at the motherboard. on the areas where the mounting holes for the hs/fan are, i noticed that there are some damaged traces near one of the mounting holes. so im going to see if i can pick up another motherboard.

was using a 661fx-m7 , what motherboard would you recomend to replace this, i dont want to replace anything else. so it must support pc3200 ram, have a socket LGA775 , and an agp port. im looking to see if i can get a identical modle, so i havnt got to messaround with modules etc, but if i cat find a replacement, what ones would you recomend?

Did you use a metallic based thermal compound like Arctic Silver? If so it is possible for excess grease to fall down around the edges of the cpu and create an electrical short. Kind of hard to do withe the newer processors because they are enclosed in a heat shield. Might just want to check it.

Also, try putting in just one stick of ram and try both sticks independently.

just looking closer at the motherboard. on the areas where the mounting holes for the hs/fan are, i noticed that there are some damaged traces near one of the mounting holes. so im going to see if i can pick up another motherboard.

was using a 661fx-m7 , what motherboard would you recomend to replace this, i dont want to replace anything else. so it must support pc3200 ram, have a socket LGA775 , and an agp port. im looking to see if i can get a identical modle, so i havnt got to messaround with modules etc, but if i cat find a replacement, what ones would you recomend?

Crap, that's a shame. You might have damaged the board while installing the new cooler without noticing it. :-/

Does it have to be mATX? ASrock as some nice boards you can replace it with.

Newegg Linky .

Crap, that's a shame. You might have damaged the board while installing the new cooler without noticing it. :-/

Does it have to be mATX? ASrock as some nice boards you can replace it with.

Newegg Linky .

just seen some nice priced ones there, what are new egg like for shipping abroad (UK)?

If you look around on ebay you might run across an Asrock 775i65G motherboard. It's LGA775 and uses the i865 chipset and uses DDR ram and agp graphics (has on-board graphics too if you don't want to use a vid card). It is also in the mATX form factor. And it does provide an upgrade path on the proc as it does support the 65nm Core 2 procs in 200 fsb and 266 fsb flavors.

Back