• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal paste question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnboy1998

Hi all

amd athlon 5000+ 2.6 ghz overclocked 3.0ghz

Can anyone help me please I have just installed a coolermaster z600 cpu cooler, I used artic silver ceramique t/p, its a 2.5g tube. I noticed after getting everything set up that my idle temps are up 5 celsius.

So I was wondering if a. the thermal paste takes a while to take effect or b. whats normally the tell-tale signs of bad thermal paste application?

I used the pea method to apply paste and have two silverstone 120mm fans in a push/pull config on the heatsink. So any ideas guys?

P.s I have upped my fsb to 230 and prime large tests has been running for half an hour and the cores havent maxed 46 celsius.

thanks

Last edited:
one of the signs of a bad thermal paste job is temps can be very high due to the lack of paste. This happened to me the first time i put together my comp and what you can do to fix it is
1.removing the fan
2.cleaning the cpu and bottom of the fan with isopropyl alcohol.
3. apply a new batch of thermal paste
4.reattach the fan.

from what it looks like you should be fine.

Thanks for that, so would you say the temps core 1 46c core 2 43c are normal, thats 100% load prime large ffts test. The test has been running for about an hour now, on my stock cooler the test would have failed by now and thats was the fsb at 225 not 230 like now. sorry if I am confusing anyone!

I don't know much about the amount of heat amd's give off, but those temps seem to be right. I would suggest looking up temps that other people get with your same cpu at the same speed. all in all i think you temps are just fine and you probably go up to 3.3-3.5 and not over heat.

Why is there an exclamation mark in the thread title?

Something exciting going on? :)

one of the signs of a bad thermal paste job is temps can be very high due to the lack of paste. This happened to me the first time i put together my comp and what you can do to fix it is
1.removing the fan
2.cleaning the cpu and bottom of the fan with isopropyl alcohol.
3. apply a new batch of thermal paste
4.reattach the fan.

from what it looks like you should be fine.

I have seen 70% and 90% isopropyl alcohol at my local drug store. I happen to have 70% at home in the closet, would either % work? I have never had to clean thermal paste up, yet. But likely will in the future.

Last edited:
Back