• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC vs. Console

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cashboxer

Registered
I am a graphics designer and don't play games at all, but was wondering what the difference between the 2 are? I know I can google it, but I wanted to hear from you guys about the pro's and con's.

Consoles would have cost as a pro and a con, you can get a ps3 for $400 that will play all the new games released for it but you also cant upgrade the performance and need a new console every few years. PCs have high costs to first build a good gaming rig but can be upgraded for quite a while.
Pc's can also play games at a higher quality if its good enough, as well as a higher resolution.
Consoles dont have to worry about viruses or optimizing your install by disabling services, or installing games to paly them etc. Theres more but i cant think of them atm lol

pc's just have greater choice in terms of hardware. i could have a whole range of controllers to choose from, all with different designs and button mapping, and there are even hacks to allow original games console controllers to work, as well as unconventional devices (for a while i was actually using my ds lite as a controller over wifi).

pc startup costs, yes, but you could build a new pc for the price of this generation's launch consoles.

I think First person shooters and real time strategy games are best one PC because of the versatility of the mouse and keyboard. All other games can be for the console. As PC's get more powerful and coding for an emulator of a system gets more efficient then those older consoles can be played comfortably on the PC, i.e. SNES.

Pro: can play any game that comes out for it better quality through tv than screen unless you plug a tv into your computer
Con:i think they are restricted to 30fps at all time, once it comes outdated no possiblity of upgrade

Consoles: Cost, compatibility, hardware/software support.

PCs: Flexibility, power(if you spend the cash),

Consoles will always have an edge on price. They are sold below cost in order to make money off of software. a $400 pc won't play a game at hd resolutions with killzone 2 or gears of war 2 quality graphics, and we are already several years into this gen's life cycle. Also, anything that you can buy for a console should work, no matter what, unless there is a defect. Same can't be said for PCs. Anything from dvd copy protection to an outdated driver can cause compatibility issues on a pc.

On the other hand, in spite of all the efforts to make consoles a one stop shop for any kind of entertainment, PCs still have so many more options and tools that let you do basically whatever you want. A console has a specific purpose, no matter how large the goal is. Pcs are an open platform for anything you could want to do. Also, if you put in the cash, a good PC will eat up consoles in terms of quality. Crysis is an eye popping game, but consoles would have a hard time pulling it off without the usual "cheating"(lowered resolutions on textures, vastly reduced AF, etc.). A solid computer can be upgraded for a long time, a console can't.

I personally enjoy both. A console averages out to about $100 per year in hardware costs, I know I spend a lot more than that on average for a pc each year(especially if I include the initial purchase), not to mention I don't have t worry about my 360's health like I do my computer.. But I wouldn't trade my pc for the world, just so much fun stuff to do on it. :D

I am ready to upgrade my card and start gaming and was wondering what I should get in the $200 range. I can only put 1 card in my case because of my MoBo, so I want something that is pretty good and will last a few months till I start all over with a Intel Core i7. I will start from scratch on that system and give this one to the wife.

I am ready to upgrade my card and start gaming and was wondering what I should get in the $200 range. I can only put 1 card in my case because of my MoBo, so I want something that is pretty good and will last a few months till I start all over with a Intel Core i7. I will start from scratch on that system and give this one to the wife.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=595824

Same card I have, thing flies. Paid about 250 for mine awhile back :-/

Real Time Strategies do not work on consoles and that is one of my favorite game segments.

Console internet connectivity has come a long way, but is still no where near the functionality of a PC, in gaming, ease of use, flexibility.

It's much more expensive to upgrade a PC to keep up to date, pc's suck your money dry, game console has more life and no troubles also is allot cheaper to upgrade, gaming pc's are for hobbyist.:beer:

Wait, what? What about the mass amounts of failed PS2 release units? What about all the RROD release units?
Don't get me started on all the failed PC components and software games through the years, it's far far greater than any console.:eek:

I have a crap budget and still maintain a decent gaming PC. The big expenses are if you have to build a new gaming system from scratch, or if you want the absolute best hardware possible, which has a very bad price : performance ratio. OC'ing helps in getting the best performance out of a small budget.

Don't get me started on all the failed PC components and software games through the years, it's far far greater than any console.:eek:

if something goes wrong with your console it's back to the repair shop for a week or two of servicing. for my pc it's "open case, remove dodgy component, borrow a friends component, carry on like normal, try not to give component back".

takes less than a day.have problems with the stock fans for my pc? get new ones. problems with the stock cooling solutions of the xbox 360?... oh well...

if something goes wrong with your console it's back to the repair shop for a week or two of servicing. for my pc it's "open case, remove dodgy component, borrow a friends component, carry on like normal, try not to give component back".

takes less than a day.have problems with the stock fans for my pc? get new ones. problems with the stock cooling solutions of the xbox 360?... oh well...
Exactly. I'll pay the "premium" to use a computer and modify it when needed.

For me the main difference between a console and a PC is that when I own a PC, I feel that I actually 'own' it, much like owning a car. I can muck around with it and I know the thing inside out.

When I own a console, I don't feel that it's actually mine, it's more like Sony or Microsoft is 'lending' me the console so I can play their games. The console is still their property and you can't tamper with it to change it's performance.

Back