• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop for friend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevlar93

My friend is going off to college in a semester and wants a laptop. His budget is about a $1000 and would do light gaming(hl2, tf2, etc) and school. nothing that special. what do you recommend?

ASUS N50Vn-X1B

MSI GX620-001US

Both are great options, my friend has the ASUS, even though many complained about some keyboard problems it's just a matter of getting used to it, much like netbook keyboards.

The MSI seems like a good laptop, I actually didn't know MSI made laptops until now (living under a rock on Mars) - they seem to be making nice budget gaming laptops.

I stayed with 15.4" since I thought 17" might be too heavy or bulky to carry around if your friend wants it to be at least somewhat portable. I wanted to suggest this one with dual graphics options to save some power when s/he isn't gaming, I don't know if they'll consider 13.3" too small for decent gaming but my uncle has the U330 by Lenovo.

Last edited:
The Dell Studio 15 or HP dv4/dv5 might be good options. I'm pretty sure you can find both at Best Buy. I would have your friend go to Best Buy and play around with a few models. I think value is as important as the next guy, and certainly you want to make sure he gets a laptop with good specs. However, for something you're going to be taking to class at college and resting on your lap, feel matters. When you buy a desktop things like weight and size don't matter, but they do with laptops. Don't let your friend make the mistake of buying a brick, and also make sure he is comfortable with the touchpad and keyboard. Typing on a crappy keyboard for for years taking notes in class sucks... believe me, I know!

Just from experince I find a 15" inch laptop too big to carry to Uni. I've got the M1530 and its just a little too big, I'll be going for a 13" inch model when I have some cash. Also the reolution on a 13" monitor will be easier for the mobile GFX to cope with.

Just a thought.

Just from experince I find a 15" inch laptop too big to carry to Uni. I've got the M1530 and its just a little too big, I'll be going for a 13" inch model when I have some cash. Also the reolution on a 13" monitor will be easier for the mobile GFX to cope with.

Just a thought.

Maybe so, but finding a 13 inch model with a dedicated graphics card will be difficult, the smallest one I've seen is an Asus model thats a 14" and has a 9650 512 meg card.

The Dell M1330 has a max of a 128 meg 8400GS, which is pretty bleh IMO and probably wont give you acceptable framerates.

Back