• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Active Update from AOL9.0 VR-- Globally Affecting Internet Connection??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I put this question here because I wonder if what I am about to describe is related to MS XP Pro SP2. That is the OS I have.

Everything was fine. I have AOL9.0VR, I was having connectivity problems a month ago with AOL, getting kicked off. Withing the AOL software, I received a blue pop up that asked if I was having SP2 connectivity problems, if so, Download the latest update. I did.

NOW, I have a major problem. Whenever I log onto AOL, 2 things happen:

1. I cannot send email via Thunderbird v2.0.0.x via Time Warner's RoadRunner service, but I can receive email.

2. My browsing with Firefox v2.0.0.20 has slowed down quite a bit.

BUT, the very SECOND, I close and log off my AOL screenname, I can send the VERY email that gave me an error, and my speed is back to normal on FF.

The Thundbird error I receive on the email is the following: The message could not be sent because connecting to the SMPTP server failed.

I called TimeWarner nothing is wrong on their end, I did everything..this is a result of the update from AOL. With AOL I called, and AOL quick restore feature that I tried, didn't work.

I did a MS System Restore from earlier today, that didn't fix the problems I mentioned. Strangely enough, when I log into AOL after the System Restore, in a few seconds, I got that SAME box that mentioned the WindowsSP2 connectivity problems with AOL...This time I didn't select it for download. I had hoped that would fix it..But that didn't.

So I can't help but think that one of two things are going one

1. The update made some sort of global change in my OS
2. The process of logging onto AOL is the problem, and those changes weren't reversed. I notice when I log on, the first thing AOL software does 1. Initiallize cable modem

I don't recall the other network related actions..happen so fast, I can't even write them down.

ANY IDEAS???? I am lost here.

I'm thoroughly amazed that someone who frequents a tech site, voluntarily uses AOL. If it were me, I'd uninstall AOL then try to fix the problem. It could be any number of things, depending on what part of your system AOL hosed. It sounds a bit like a firewall issue, but who knows? The best thing you could do for your machine is ditch the AOL, and never put it back ;^)

I'm thoroughly amazed that someone who frequents a tech site, voluntarily uses AOL. If it were me, I'd uninstall AOL then try to fix the problem. It could be any number of things, depending on what part of your system AOL hosed. It sounds a bit like a firewall issue, but who knows? The best thing you could do for your machine is ditch the AOL, and never put it back ;^)

I am too!!! haha...I got it working. I uninstalled every AOL file, cleaned out the registry of everything that had an AOL reference. It did appear to be a firewall issue, but I don't believe so. In any event I reinstalled it..just so I could see what happened...After a fresh install, everything is working..email w/Tbird, and my browser speed. That's the LAST time I download anything from them. If it doesn't work..I'm going to pitch AOL.

actually i use aol as well
i am surprised that aol is allowing you to use firefox
AOL told me that they will not allow any other browser software than AOL itself
i had the same problem as you
until they informed me of that issue

PROBLEM SOLVED, sorta

First, I have learned that AOL has poorly trained tech support. I called AOL for a third time. Here's what happened.

1. Uninstalled/reinstalled AOL9.0VR, no problem. Here's the "key", after reinstallation, when you sign on, AOL should only go through 3 steps. These steps can be be seen on the bottom right as it logs onto the network.

2. Last night, AOL, for unknown reason, went from 3 steps to 6 steps during sign on. This 6 step protocol, results in AOL software to initialize my cable modem, and 3 other network-based operations. It happens so fast, and the text is so small I cannot read them all.

3. When that happens, that's when I get the ISP-email problem along w/slowed browser connectivity speed.

4. Why the software switched from 3 step to 6 step on its own is not known, AOL tech support last night said sometimes a glitch occurs, and AOL software changes the method of connecting from your computer out to the AOL Network

5. Her SOLUTION>> Go to the right side of sys tray.

Right click on AOL icon, choose System Information
On the left of AOL Sys Information box that pops up, Choose Connectivity
Then on the right side of that side of that window, Choose Reset Connections

Wait for it to finish. Then relog in. When I did that, the AOL software went back to using 3 steps to log into the network, and my problem was solved.

I don't know why it switches. I wish I did.

Just thought I'd tell people the "solution" that has it working

Really, who told you that?? I have always used IE and Firefox, and Mozilla too in conjunction with whatever version I had..NEVER a problem...Until now..and it's not an external problem, it's a problem w/the software or something.

you reside in the u.s
aol canada isp software is written differently
my aol software went through all 6 steps
and ( yes ) aol canada would not allow me to use any other internet browser software
i use vista now , and do not experience that problem anymore

Back