• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Ignore-bad batch of fans]Yate loon saga continues.... dont buy open corner!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nd4spdbh2

Guys everything has been sorted, thanks jabtek.

It turns out i recieved a bad batch of the yate loons originally. had i known this before hand this post woulda never EVER been created, its obvious that this problem has been fixed at yate loon and that the smaller motor has NO side effects to the quality of the fan

OK guys, some of you may know the knock off yate loon scandal or what ever you wanna call it. Basically it revolved around certain vendors carrying cheap knock off yate loons.

That aside i have come upon a new fold in the yate loon story...

A coupla months ago i bought 3 open cornered D12SL-12's they have the new "curved" style blade design. I was very disapointed when i got them as they had an absolute HORRID motor clicking noise, so i never used them. Well today i got a lil bored and thought to myself, well i have 2 straight blade style yates in my main rig, i could take the fan blade assembly off the crappy motor curved bladed yates and pop em on my original yates and have the best of both worlds.... a QUIET motor with a more efficient blade design.

This is what i found...

Curved bladed fan assembly on left, old straight blade on the right... notice n e thing different besides the blades?
IMG_0441.JPG

OK heres another hint...
IMG_0447.JPG

the open corner models have 80mm size motors in them.

Yes thats right 80mm size motor hubs.... 80mm fan blade assembly courtesy of an 80mm sleve bearing fan made by icute.

IMG_0455.JPG

SPINNING!!!!

IMG_0456.JPG

These are just my findings, i cant say anything about closed corner curved bladed D12SL-12's but i wont be buying any more open cornered ones thats for sure.

If any of you guys have closed corner curved bladed yates, and are willing to take them apart really quick snap a coupla pictures of the hub size... the 80mm size motor is just under an inch in diameter... the legit 120mm sized motor is 1.25inches.

Last edited:
if you look in the open corners you can see the light (in this case the wood) passing through. if you look at the closed corners no light passes through. on the closed corners there is a tube that connects both the front and rear holes.

it's minor details but I see the 120mm motor PCB is nicely cut rounded while the 80mm one has a look like someone cut with scissors

Yikes,

Care to share where these knocks were purchased from?

Bryan D

oh bout the only main place you can find open cornered D12SL-12's on the net, and one of the etailers that was part of the original yate loon scandal. jab-tech.com is where i got em. i have yet to find another etailer that carries open cornered yates

check this thread at xs dealing with the original scandal.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=146836

Last edited:
I just got 3 closed corner that make more motor noise than all the other fans im using.
Have to get within 2 feet to hear it but they stand out from all the others at that distance.
Dont know as to point the finger at any individual retailers. They`ll have got in at the supply end for a guess.
In the dark really only noticed this thread because I had some on the way.

I just got 3 closed corner that make more motor noise than all the other fans im using.
Have to get within 2 feet to hear it but they stand out from all the others at that distance.
Dont know as to point the finger at any individual retailers. They`ll have got in at the supply end for a guess.
In the dark really only noticed this thread because I had some on the way.

whod you buy them from?

I purchased my first set of medium yates at petras. they were great, moved plenty of air, and were quiet.

I purchased my next set of six, after a case upgrade, from jab-tech due to them being like half the price. I cannot notice any problems with the fans, however, their wires are 4-6" shorter than the fans supplied by petras... oddd.

I've got some closed corner yates on the way from jab-tech. I'll compare them with the fans I got from Petra's a while ago. Jab-tech has 2 different models, D12SM-12 and D12SM-12C. I went with the cheaper model because I couldn't figure out the difference. One may be straight blades and the other curved, but you can't tell from the pictures or descriptions.

Anyway, they'll be here wednesday, and I'll let you know if there's any difference between the Petra's fans.

I've got some closed corner yates on the way from jab-tech. I'll compare them with the fans I got from Petra's a while ago. Jab-tech has 2 different models, D12SM-12 and D12SM-12C. I went with the cheaper model because I couldn't figure out the difference. One may be straight blades and the other curved, but you can't tell from the pictures or descriptions.

Anyway, they'll be here wednesday, and I'll let you know if there's any difference between the Petra's fans.

maybe the different models is where my shorter cables came into play.

UH OH! I just bought two high speed yates from jab-tech... but I'd have a HELL of a time taking them down now that they're mounted and attached to my 5 1/4" fan controller.

I'll email John at Jab-Tech and ask him what the deal is.

I'd don't know how I'd feel about having an 80mm motor in my 120mm fan...

I'm thinking that the open corner fans are different, no matter who you get them from. The regular Yates are supposed to be the same though.

Axis

I never bothered looking for open cornered Yates myself. I figure that is one reason why I own a Dremel. It's dead easy to open the corners up on a closed corner fan with a Dremel.

As for the Jab-tch Yates vs the Petra's Yates, the one's I've bought in the past had no significant noise difference that I could tell. But the Yates I bought from Jab-tech (black ones, not the led ones I'm talking about) were over a year ago. So I don't know how representative they are of the ones that Jab-tech is selling now.

whod you buy them from?

I bought them from Specialtech uk (was imported into country a few days ago)
never had any complaints with Specialtech, Spent plenty of money with them and service is first class thus far.

As for the 3 fans its more a knocking noise when there face down, it also slows them quite a notcable ammount compaired to the other fans I have around the place. there much quicker and quieter stood vertical.
got to be 80mm motors to labour that much.

#note# rainless - Like the Sig LOL, Im THX1138 to meet you #chuckles#

Last edited:

you realize the C models are thinner 20mm thick ones vs the standard 25mm thick ones.

I think ima order some closed corneres from jabtech and some from petras.

Yeah, I actually emailed jab-tech to find out the difference between the 12 and 12c models. I'm surprised the 20mm models cost more. Anyway, I have a few medium speed yates I got from petras a few months ago. I will compare them to the ones I have on order from Jab-Tech when they arrive.

On another note, has anyone tried the 38mm thick fans from Yate Loon?? I though about picking some up, but the only ones that seem to be available anywhere are low speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back