• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Combining two 3pin fans on 1 3pin connection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeHappy

Im a complete noob when it comes to wiring. I just bought a fan controller and I need to know if there is any way of connecting two 3pin fans together on one header.

I took apart a laptop chillpad and removed the fans. I want to have them both at the same rpm and monitor them through my fan controller. Only problem is that I only have one header left open on my controller.

I saw this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Twin-3-Pin-F...apter-IDE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ370107653963.

Is there any way of doing this myself? I know that the yellow wire is the rpm sensor, red is power, and black is ground?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

It is very simple if you can solder, you just pull the pins from the connector and solder the 2nd fans wires to the pins and reassemble the connector.

Be careful about pullng at lot of watts from a motherboard header. Just in case you had any plans to do so.

while soldering is ideal, simply twisting the wires together, sealing it with heat shrink, and crimping is more than enough..

Exactly what I did. I dont have a soldering iron so i remembered my grandpa teaching me how to do this.

These fans are pretty small and don't draw all that much power. Each channel on my fan controller is rated at +12v. I could run 3 of these off each header if needed.

Thanks guys.

Exactly what I did. I dont have a soldering iron so i remembered my grandpa teaching me how to do this.

These fans are pretty small and don't draw all that much power. Each channel on my fan controller is rated at +12v. I could run 3 of these off each header if needed.

Thanks guys.

you want to look at how man watts each channel can handle.

ie. my sunbeam can do 20watts per channel.

each of my yates draw 0.3 amps.

12V * 0.3A = 3.6W

Thus I can safely place up to 5 fans per channel since 5*3.6 < 20W.

you want to look at how man watts each channel can handle.

ie. my sunbeam can do 20watts per channel.

each of my yates draw 0.3 amps.

12V * 0.3A = 3.6W

Thus I can safely place up to 5 fans per channel since 5*3.6 < 20W.

Man I love you guys! I learn so freaking much, its awesome.

My fans only draw about .021 amps each, so i'm more than fine.:thup:

Back