• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Cooling for HD4870

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WonderingSoul

Team 32 Folding Member
I can't stand the whine of this stock cooler anymore. Anyone have any recommendations? I have an S1 on another card at the moment that I could steel to put on this, but I don't know if it would be worth it.

Anyone have any recommendations?

If you have a non reference card like my Visiontek, it has a heatsink bolted to teh VRM's that's seperate, so the S1 works perfectly. If not, then your going to need a set of RAM sinks.

If you have a non reference card like my Visiontek, it has a heatsink bolted to teh VRM's that's seperate, so the S1 works perfectly. If not, then your going to need a set of RAM sinks.

RAM sinks aren't a problem, have about 3 dozen or so of them, lol

Only thing is that the S1 sits kinda low. so I will have to figure out how to set the ramsinks to fit inbetween the fins or use shallower sinks.

I saw somewhere that people just take the core heatsink off, and replace it it with AC Accelero Twin Turbo... leaving the card's stock heatsink cool the memory and voltage regulators.

I'm planing on doing this myself in a month or so...

I luv the Thermalright HR-03 ;) Might be a bit too big if you plan on going xfire tho.

The HR-03's/HR-03 GT's are great performers for sure, but if you go this route make sure to sink the VRM chips separately.

I attached a bunch of aluminum PLL sinks to mine, put a large full-width aluminum RAMSink on the Vitec chip, and strapped a fan to the card and the VRM's still manage to get slightly toasty in BIA: HH. :shrug:

At least the core stays below 45C now even overclocked.

The S1 or Twin Turbo with the stock shim would probably be easier if you don't have a separate VRM heatsink though.

Back