• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium Core 2 Quad Q6600 compatibility question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

You_Father_Sky

Registered
Really quick question.

Here's my current (aging) system:
Asus P5P800
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
4x1Gig Kingston PC3200 DDR Ram
ATI Radeon HD3850

QUESTION: Because the P5P800 is an older board but still LGA Socket 775 can I take out the P4 and drop in a Q6600? Will this work? I really don't want to go through the hassle of building an entirely new system from the ground up. Not to mention I don't have the money right now. I'm trying to max out this level of technology (that's why I went with the HD3850 AGP card for instance.)

So far my computer is still rocking most of the games I play but I mainly use this as my protools workstation so I'm just looking to max it out for audio processing.

Thanks in advance.
cheers

Last edited:
I have an Abit AA8XE 925X mobo that's in the same boat. Like yours, it can't even run a Pentium D dual core, only single core P4's with HT. The power requirement for the Core 2 Duo's required a physical change to the CPU circuitry which is why our older boards can't work with just a BIOS update.

OK are there any board you know of that I could buy to continue to make use of my current ram, video card, hdd's etc. and then add a q6600?

ASRock is the value division of Asus. They specialize in boards like this that help cross platforms. The VIA 880 chipset is decent, but not a great overclocker. However, you wouldn't need to overclock going from a 3.2GHz P4 to a 2.4GHz quad-core.

I noticed the newegg listing for it is deactivated. A quick search didn't show any other sites with one either. You might have to go to ebay or craigslist to find one. :(

Back