• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cannot connect/host games - need last ditch advice or new router suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woca

My connection is as follows

modem to
router (NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS318v3) to
comp and wall to
basement wall to switch (D-Link DSS-5+ 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch) to
360, comp 1, comp 2

connection problems on all
tried port-forwarding, i had to have failed miserably or my router sucks (it is vpn...)

I don't think the switch has anything to do with it, but my knowledge is limited.
I have UPNP on and that didn't do anything

Any last second tips

or

router suggestion where I don't have to play with any settings to connect in games and host them too

ps - my connection is way slower in this setup than it should be for comcast high speed with the extra 10-15 a month for faster speeds

Last edited:
If you can i would say to take your computer (that youare trying to host on) and connect it directly in to the router. Try to host/play a game and d/l u/l speeds.. If you are still having problems then try to plug the computer directly to the modem, you may have to call your ISP to reset your connection. test out the game and d/l u/l speeds. This should tell you were your bottle neck is. IF it is the router, then you will either have to research how to fix it, or replace it. Since you are having problems with it, you may just want to get a new one. As for what router, just go to a local electronic store and pick one us that doesn't look to complicated (i.e. no vpn and such).

Back