• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what could make a computer abnormally hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

I cleaned my computer for dust not too long ago, but it's still running significantly hotter than usual. What else can I check for?

Both the case and cpu are running hotter than usual. The room is relatively cool.

reapply your tim never hurts & check psu to make shure it's still putting he same volts to fans (keeping the same rpm on them)

also eye have notised that the older hhd get thay start to run hotter believe it or not

well from what i can see your girlfriend/a woman is blocking your intake's. i would remove that and or deal with the high temps.

otherwise the tim could be old and time for a replacement.

Possibly dust build-up. Its really bad if someone in the house smokes, or so I hear.

well from what i can see your girlfriend/a woman is blocking your intake's. i would remove that and or deal with the high temps.

otherwise the tim could be old and time for a replacement.

I noticed that too. women when pressed against any surface, by very nature of thier soft and lushness, can seal up most holes. you might want to remove the female as it appears to be your bottleneck. ;)

And TIM doesn't seem like the issue. i'd dust out the PC, make sure the fans are running, and double check the video card. that's the biggest producer in most people's PC's.

Power supply fan still spinning? I had one of those go once, silently without notice,
and the computer got very hot.

The thing is, I recently moved. So I took off the heatsink before moving and reapplied AS5 to both the cpu and the vpu when I set my computer up again. My power supply fan seems to still be going. The only thing I changed recently was my cpu fan since my old one had a flickering LED. I guess I'll clean again, but it's only been like a week since my last cleaning.

While I personally think the 'reseat the HSF' is used as a catchall sometimes it does seem appropriate here given the fact that the only real thing that seems to have happened is your moving.

I dusted and only got a 1C difference. I did reseat the cpu when i moved, so I doubt it's that.

Well I mean that is what I'm saying. In that when you moved the HSF likely moved a bit during transit. And then you say you have done a full reseat, did you reapply TIM?, when you got to your new location.

And again I kinda view the 'reseat the HSF' as a 'unplug and replugin your modem' kinda catchall. It's a catchall like that for good reason as often it can be something that simple but...

So what I'm saying is that if you've done a reseat after you noticed these increased temps then things have clearly gotten more complicated. I'd look at each potential high-heat component and see what it's doing and if it's off it's baseline.

As someone pointed out HD's can indeed get pretty hot as they age. Given that they are one of the few moving parts in a computer and their mechanics are given to heat creation.

Last edited:
"The only thing I changed recently was my cpu fan since my old one had a flickering LED"

check into it... normally the last thing you touched ( when somrthing isnt right) is the problem

Well see, my case has a window. I can see that all the fans are moving. It's true that it would make sense for the last thing I touched to be the problem, I just don't see any problem with it.

this is prob a long shot BUT......

it could be that your ACPI conf files are croupted (perhaps a result of your move?) and can cause your rig's kernal to not handle power recuction or even regular power to your hardware. this would cause things to suddenly run hotter than normal as it's always on or off no in between.

You may also check your BIOS fan settings, perhaps when you moved your CMOS cleared and set your temp thresholds back to stock.

could also be a rootkit or somthing like it runing background processes and stressing out your CPU, causing more heat, if it's a root kit you may want to use somthing like (asuming you are running windows, as linux wouldnt have a rootkit problem) a program called rootkit reveiler, I believe it's by GRC.com and It's handy to have for that as normal virus software sutes dont usually include a rootkit search tool.

when you replaced the cpu fan was it for the exact same fan? if might have lower cfm's and not push as much air.

I finally figured out what might be causing the problem. The GPU fan (not stock) is supposed to be blowing air out of the case. It's sucking it in. I checked the connector on the video card, there's no way to connect it backwards. Since fans don't move backwards just because they feel like it, I'm guessing that the new CPU fan is creating an airflow problem (since that's the only thing that's changed) and thus made it so that the system is pulling air through the slot for the exhaust of the GPU fan faster than the fan can blow it back out. I could be wrong, but what would you all recommend?

Back