• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

total power for 8800gtx TRI Sli

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayawish24

Disabled
i want to ask that can corsair tx-850 850 watts handle 3 x 8800 gtx???i have two 8800 gtx in sli and now i want to have a tri sli!!!corsair tx-850 have 12v@ 70A !!!my specs are:-

q6600 overclocked @ 3GHz 1.256V
2 x XFX 8800 gtx overclocked at 630/1000
4 GB OCZ DDR2 SLI Ram @ 900 2.15V
1 x DVD RW
1 x floppy drive
1 x 320 GB Sata western digital hard disk
corsair TX-850 PSU

windows vista 32-bit

Two 8800GTX cards in SLI mode use about 243 watts and 20 amps at load 3 use 30 amps.

You should not have any problems with the corsair 850w:soda:

Last edited:
this not my question:my question is:--
i want to ask that can corsair tx-850 850 watts handle 3 x 8800 gtx???i have two 8800 gtx in sli and now i want to have a tri sli!!!corsair tx-850 have 12v@ 70A

It will work, but performance gains will be minimal because of your slow CPU bottlenecking all the GPU.

why my cpu is slow????????????its 4 cores running at 3ghz so how its slow then?????????newer games are using dual and quad cores and 12ghz for games is not slow bro !!!

Most games cant use two cores very efficently, It cannot use all 12GHz, it uses more fo the GPU, but to access the GPU you need a fast clock speed, not overall clockspeed, it just doesn't work that way. You dont just add up the cores. You will need something at like 4GHz+ to encompass the power of the Tri-SLI

you have a quad core not a single cpu runing at 12ghz... you dont add the speed up like that to get cpu speed. each core runs at 3ghz so its 3ghz, james covered some of the stuff i was going to say. truely to get the most out of even a SLI/CF setup the cpu speed needs to be 3.2-3.4ghz. *no start dual vs quad debate* if you compare both dual and quad cores at the same speed say 3.4ghz cpu speed in gaming. both will give the same FPS, the quad depending on the game may give a bit more FPS. now when you move beyond 2 cards in SLI to 3 with current LGA775 platforms gains are not as big unless your at a really high res like stated.

have fun with tri-sli but the gains will not be there like your expecting. unless your using the 3rd gpu for physic's work in your games.

then i have to buy core 2 extreme cpu for tri sli and overclock it to 4ghz????????????

Certainly not.

The E8400 is had cheaply and is known to clock higher than 4.

I wouldn't buy another 8800GTX, they are old tech.

e8600 core 2 duo man its old tech now !!! GTA 4 requires core 2 quad cpu check the game specs man and for 8800 gtx soits directX 10 gpu ??? i dont see any new things in gtx280 and in 8800gtx !!! bothe are ddr3 and DX10 cards only they newer card have little higher clocks and bit rate thats all !!! when DX 11 card comes out then i will upgrade not now

why my cpu is slow????????????its 4 cores running at 3ghz so how its slow then?????????newer games are using dual and quad cores and 12ghz for games is not slow bro !!!

/facepalm

You are not running at 12ghz, you are running at 3Ghz across two effective cores.

edit - Evil beat me to it :p

For 99% of games today, a high clocking dual is the way to go. If you can manage, the best of both worlds is a high clocking quad, like a Q9650 for the newly dropped price.

e8600 core 2 duo man its old tech now !!! GTA 4 requires core 2 quad cpu check the game specs man and for 8800 gtx soits directX 10 gpu ??? i dont see any new things in gtx280 and in 8800gtx !!! bothe are ddr3 and DX10 cards only they newer card have little higher clocks and bit rate thats all !!! when DX 11 card comes out then i will upgrade not now

E8600 isnt old tech if it was then the Q9000 line would be old tech as well. the Q9000 line is nothing more then 2 E8000 dies under that IHS. GTA4 needs a quad core because it is so poorly ported and coded for the PC.

just cause a game box says quad core on the box, doesn't mean that you NEED a quad core just to play the game. many games that suggest using a quad core offer the same FPS as a dual core. the only game i know of that truely offers more FPS with a quad vs dual is MS flight sim(forget the version). for right now im not even going to touch how i7 is a better platform for tri-sli/tri-cf then lga775. even if you got the higher clocks on lga775 compared to i7, its like a VW bug vs a Porsche .there is just way to much to get into detail wise to fully explain coding and instruction handling by the cpu. i'm not even a programmer but i understand that programming for more then 2 cores is no easy task. just cause some games claim to be coded for it doesn't mean that it is going to be more effective at instruction execution then a dual with the current state of programming for gaming.

not trying to be mean here but it's clear you don't understand how things work. your posts do come off like you know more then the people that have been around these parts long before you got into these neck of the woods. i urge you to truly take the time to understand why we say what we say. as well as why we suggest what we suggest about components with certain setups.

there is more to the Nvidia GTX line then you know. just cause the box says DX10 to DX10 from 8000-9000-GTX doesn't meant they didnt change anything. you have to look deeper then the box to the find the differences. that same aspect is applied to cpus as well, time to think out side of the box?

certainly would not hurt to do 3.6ghz on your Q6600. its probably required for the third gtx in sli

Back