• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

..if a heatsink is bigger that the chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

i have a bunch of small copper heatsinks, but they are double the legnth of the chips on my ram, should i still use them? or will a large heatsink on a small chip be a bad idea?

oh and where else in my pc could these small copper heatsinks go?

Unless it is touching something metal/conductive or in danger of ripping said chip off, no, it should work fine.

would it be ok to use 1 heatsink on two chips?...like link/bridge two chips with one heatsink

I would agree with thideras, using a large heatsink should be okay, just make sure that you are able to secure it down and use some sort of thermal past/gel/what ever else.

As for what it should be used for, what are the specs of it? Does it look like it should fit RAM?

IMHO, you dont need it, especially for the current overclock you have going. So why bother? I assure you that you will upgrade much sooner than your motherboard craps out on you b/c of heat. Cooler is always better, but Im not so sure sticking ramsinks on random mobo parts would be helpful in any way.

Back