• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low profile haetsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icebob

I just got that Aerocool M40 case. I'm looking for a low profile heatsink. It will go on top of a 6400+BE with a little bit of OC. Any suggestion? Would like to keep it under75~80$

How low is low profile? I have a Ultima 90 on my E8400 @ 4Ghz and it does very well.

Yea you are limited. If you are into doing some modding you could cut a hole in the bottom of the top half and get a taller HS. I personally dont know any low profile HSs

if you get us a height measurement we might be able to help you out... but by the looks of it your severly limited by the shelf thing.

Have a look at this FrostyTech low profile round-up.

It look like the best cooling one is the AVC Z7U7414001. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the stock cooler that come with the PhenomII? If not that's probably his twin brother!. I'm asking cause this is what I have in the Aerocool right now.

From the mfg.'s product spec page:http://www.aerocool.us/case/m40/m40-spec.htm it looks like you have 125mm clearance from the mobo tray to that shelf. You must subtract from that the distance from the cpu heat spreader face to the underside of the mobo including the offsets. I figure that is about 20mm. So, your heatsink must not be taller than 105mm. Here are some from Newegg that should fit the bill:

Thermaltake CL-P0464 
COOLER MASTER GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm
Noctua NH-C12P 120mm SSO
Thermaltake CL-P0369 120mm CPU Cooler

The Coolermaster Gemini II looks good to me.

Basically, a lot of the coolers whose fans mount horizontally will work for you. Towers are out unless you cut a hole in the shelf above the cooler and I'd look into that if I were you.

Last edited:
From the mfg.'s product spec page:http://www.aerocool.us/case/m40/m40-spec.htm it looks like you have 125mm clearance from the mobo tray to that shelf. You must subtract from that the distance from the cpu heat spreader face to the underside of the mobo including the offsets. I figure that is about 20mm. So, your heatsink must not be taller than 105mm. Here are some from Newegg that should fit the bill:

Thermaltake CL-P0464*
Noctua NH-C12P 120mm SSO
SILVERSTONE NT06-E 1 x 120mm fan (optional)

Basically, a lot of the coolers whose fans mount horizontally will work for you. Towers are out.

Thx a lot, that's very good info you got there. Really appreciate

Icebob,

I realized that the silverstone cooler I listed will be too tall with a fan installed. I edited my post accordingly.

Thermaltake CL-P0464*
Noctua NH-C12P 120mm SSO

The Coolermaster Gemini II looks good to me.

Basically, a lot of the coolers whose fans mount horizontally will work for you. Towers are out unless you cut a hole in the shelf above the cooler and I'd look into that if I were you.

i just may look into the hole in the top because i was wanting to run as quiet as possible and i figure a 45nm x2 and a ninja or ninja copper would be fine if i have the 2 80mm above the IO blowing in and quiet ones as well as the 80mm in the 2nd story blow in aswell

the videocard end should be alright if i cut a hole out for the PSU on the bottom of the seccond story to suck up what ever hot air comes up from the videocard, and have the 120mm in the front blow in aswell so it blows across the south chipset and videocards.

is the room on the other side of the front to put another fan?

as for the heatsink what about this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185062

Back