• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux gets more points with SMP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eddyg519

So once I get my heatsink/CPU temps BELOW 90C im going to fold on the chip but I was wondering if its a better idea to do a VMware with linux just for the SMP folding and run my single (soon dual) GPU2 folding in vista64?

quick question i know :bang head

best regards team and FOLD ON :beer::beer::beer:

yes there's special WU's that give very nice PPD with Linux. They don't come around all the time but it sure is nice when they do.

I recommend VMware 2.0, I am looking forward to writing a guide on this eventually (too busy atm). There's a couple guides here in the folding section (one's a sticky) that can help ya out a little bit.

yeah for sure I was checking that out before. I think ill get it all installed and ready to go then when i fix this crappy heat issue ill be zoomin

+1 for WMWare 2.0
I love that I can manage my VMs from anywhere, btw. It's nice to know that even at work or school I can restart faulty clients or update cores.

yes there's special WU's that give very nice PPD with Linux. They don't come around all the time but it sure is nice when they do.

I recommend VMware 2.0, I am looking forward to writing a guide on this eventually (too busy atm). There's a couple guides here in the folding section (one's a sticky) that can help ya out a little bit.

That would be a nice guide to have as I'm at 1.08 ATM and when I tried to install VM 2.0 it just wouldn't go. Maybe I'll try again when I'll have 2GB more memory while still running 1.08 folding. Maybe my brain was too foggy last time.:D :beer:

Any performance increase with VMWare Server v2.0 vs. the v1.08 release?

If there isn't I'm not going to bother as I just updated all my machines to v1.08 recently.

there is already a massive guide on install SMP on VM in windows.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=586291

Any performance increase with VMWare Server v2.0 vs. the v1.08 release?

If there isn't I'm not going to bother as I just updated all my machines to v1.08 recently.

I didn't actually test it H, but could not "notice" a difference. I only ran it for about a week, then went back to 1.0.8.
Did not like the fact you have to log in with a password every time.

Back