• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling SilverStone FT01 + CM v8 - Need tips!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acyd

Hey all! New here, thought I could get some expert help.......

So I'm purchasing this case and cooler, the FT01 and CM v8, and need some pointers on airflow, because I'll be looking to OC the i7 to 3.6ghz+. Should look something like this:

f_ft01v8m_0439808.jpg

The FT01 case uses positive air pressure. It comes with 3 stock fans:
- 1x 180mm top intake - 700RPM
- 1x 180mm front intake - 700RPM
- 1x 120mm rear exhaust - 900RPM

The case has sound dampening material and is constructed from one piece of aluminum, like the TJ07, so it should be very quiet.

This case does some pretty good CPU cooling because the top 180mm fan blows right on top of the important motherboard parts. But, the GPU temps are not too good. In order to better cool the GPU, I will be removing the top HDD cage to allow for more airflow coming from the front 180mm intake fan. Any tips on how to further improve GPU cooling? Will be doing SLI.

Now, what modding can I do to further improve the case cooling, without suffering from excessive noise?

I was thinking of replacing the rear 120mm fan, any fan recommendations? I cant get any Yate Loons / Panaflos / San Aces where I'm from unfortunately, so it will have to be either scythe fans or noctuas or nexus or something like that, not sure which ones are good for exhaust.

Second, I was thinking of maybe adding a Kama Bay, takes up 3x 5.25" bays and works as an intake, blowing right on the v8 cooler I think. Not sure if this will add any excessive noise but if this would be a good idea, I'd replace the stock fan. Is anyone familiar with the Kama Bay, does it work well?

Third, I'm thinking I should also replace v8's stock fan, the fan measurement needs to be 120 x 120 x 25mm. Which fan works best with the v8?

I will be adding a fan controller so the RPM of the fans can be somewhat higher than normal. Probably the Zalman one with 6x channels.

Are there any other tips you guys can give me to further improve airflow while remaining silent? :thup:

I have that case, and a Scythe Kama bay cooler, although I don't have it installed. The Kama does it's job, it's a fan mounted in 3 bays as you said, and blows air in. Looks nice and has a filter. It's not any louder than any fan already in your system.

I have that case, and a Scythe Kama bay cooler, although I don't have it installed. The Kama does it's job, it's a fan mounted in 3 bays as you said, and blows air in. Looks nice and has a filter. It's not any louder than any fan already in your system.

Sounds good.... So you went stock? Hows the performance with stock cooling? Got pics? I love that case.

Back