• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best-Motherboard-4-Tualatin???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Inteleron

1st-off...my-space-bar-is-broken-so-excuse-the-dashes.:rolleyes:

now...what-is-the-best-chipset-for-the-Tualatin?
and....what-board-do-you-guys-recommend?

finally.....what-are-you-guys-running/have-expierence-with?

Thankz-every1:p

1. Stay away from the TUSL2-C it does some real weird things to my dads comp when oced, also staw away from the BD133U as it doesnt even boot with some Celly 1.2s

2. The most proven board is the ST6, you will be happy with it

3. I-think-the-best-board-it-is-the Gigabyte 60-XET(sorry couldnt help it:)).....that said i know some people have had problems with it.......but most people are very excited about 1/5 and 1/6 dividers and have gotten it working.....it does have a hang on reboot problem.....but works finr toher than that

Abit ST6 is a good board......Gigabyte XET-C is also a
good board as well

I have had no problems with the Gigabyte XET-C
PIII 1.26 S @ 160 FSB-1.52 GHz CV 1.45

All 815 chipset mobos are prone to the 'hang on reboot' problem as it is a fault with the chipset and not the manufacturer of the mobo in general....

Vid pinning fixes the problem in all cases and dosen't show up on the St-6 due to the fact that vid pinning is the only voltage adjustment option you really have....

The Gigabyte GA-60XET (-C) is a top board! I've had both an XE and an XET (like the Asus CUSL2-C and the TUSL2-C, one is not Tualatin compatible and other one is) and I have had no problems with the mobo whatsoever....

Totally reccomended.

Same here.....really like my XET-C....doing fine with Cel-T 1200 @1608.....does hang once in awhile but so did my Abit BF6/BH6 while overclocked......

VH6T has a via chipset, but performs rather well anyway, and has a load of good tweaks and features.

ST6 will work nicely, but has some (in my opinion) not-so-good features (like a max of 512MB RAM and Highpoint controllers).

Flu!d said:
All 815 chipset mobos are prone to the 'hang on reboot' problem as it is a fault with the chipset and not the manufacturer of the mobo in general....

Vid pinning fixes the problem in all cases and dosen't show up on the St-6 due to the fact that vid pinning is the only voltage adjustment option you really have....

The Gigabyte GA-60XET (-C) is a top board! I've had both an XE and an XET (like the Asus CUSL2-C and the TUSL2-C, one is not Tualatin compatible and other one is) and I have had no problems with the mobo whatsoever....

Totally reccomended.

I have never had that hang on reboot problem with the ST6!

The only problem I have heard of with the GB board is ram not working as well with the 1/5 setting! Not sure why though. I may just get a ST6 again, was thinking of getting the GB board but there are still to many uncertainties! I know my ST6 does excellent and I think I am going to undervolt any way so as to have the quietest system available. I found the IHSless tualatin core will cool effectively with a good copper cooler next to the core without a fan on the HS. Only fan I am going to have is the one on the PSU in my new/old system. To the PSU I am going to have a shroud sucking air through the HS on the tualatin. I also have a radeon 7500 that runs cool as a cucumber so that will help keep case temps way down I feel. I am going to use a ST6 + 1.2 PIII tualatin and run it at around 1.2~ 1.3vcore. HS will be a swifty MCXc-370 copper base cooler which perform quite close to its big bro!

I ran a cel-t 1.2 @ 1.2GHz without a fan on the HS for 6~7 hours. Max temps were around 50 deg. C. I found the thermal threshold was around 58 deg. C. I had no air flow even going to the HS in any way. It simply had to cool by convection. I have never heard a 1.2GHz system that quiet!

I also wanted to add that I also got a 80GB seagate barracuda which is a fluid bearing drive and is very very quiet but indeed runs very hot. To fix this I am going to encase the HD in two bays and add vents to the outside in the bays allowing air circulation while the encasement will be insulated so as to not add to the case temps which will be going through the HS! Who knows I may even be able to OC with this setup! 1.4GHz with one fan would be awesome! I know with my old PIII 1.2GHz tuay I hit 1.3GHz on 1.3v and 1.4GHz on 1.4v. For the 1.4GHz OC my HS fan was at 7v. This was with the crappy retail cooler and with IHS on!

At that point and time I had not known how to really take the IHS off properly. That in combo with a copper base cooler should help dramatically!
:D

Last edited:
I have never had that hang on reboot problem with the ST6!

How do you up the vcore on an St-6?

That's right you vid pin....

How do you 'rectify' the resetting problem on an 815 based mobo?

That's right, you vid pin....

See something here?

That's why you never had the problem on the St-6.

And as far as the 1/5 pci dividers go....I believe 'everyone' has got them working, including Oldfart who was originally having problems with his.

Like I said before....The Gigabyte board is a great board with no probs at all....No more than any other 815 based board. The St-6 is a good board also but lacks vcore adjustment and extra dividers.

Everybody probably knows this, but I never had a reboot
problem with my XET-C with the 133fsb chip in it.

When I put my 1.1a (100fsb default), I had no reboot problems
unless I go over 133-134 or so.

Havent done the vidpinning yet. This thing is pretty quick
anyways at the 130fsb I am running now....

Flu!d said:

How do you up the vcore on an St-6?

That's right you vid pin....

Not really!

You can goto 1.6v on the ST6 without vid pinning. I ran my old tualatin 1.2GHz PIII on it for months and never saw a difference @ 166fsb/1500MHz. Never a reboot problem. One other thing! My old cel-t never hit 1.6GHz on anything less than 1.725v. When you vid pin the cel-t it only gives you a 1.675v setting as default so in essence it does not matter if at boot it was running 1.675v it would not boot period even the bios or vid card!

Can you dig it?

Last edited:
When I got my rmaed board back, they told me my board was working fine and they didn't do anything on it. So, I took it home and assembled my beast back together. I powered up, then after it past the post beep, it would shut off by itself. At first, I thought it was the PS, but it wasn't. I took it back to my local pc shop and they tested it again. No problems. I drove home again and put the darn thing back in. This time, I switched my outlet bar. I booted up. Viola! Power! Anyways, I headed straight to 125fsb w/ 1/4 dividers. Saved and rebooted. Guess what?? The reboot problem is gone!!! I didn't do that 133fsb 1/4 divider then adjust hack, so I feel that my outlet was the problem. I guess it finally died on me. Strange thing however, I never noticed that problem with my temp system on it. I guess my machine sucks up some power. Anyways, I'm very happy :D

Bonka said:
When I got my rmaed board back, they told me my board was working fine and they didn't do anything on it. So, I took it home and assembled my beast back together. I powered up, then after it past the post beep, it would shut off by itself. At first, I thought it was the PS, but it wasn't. I took it back to my local pc shop and they tested it again. No problems. I drove home again and put the darn thing back in. This time, I switched my outlet bar. I booted up. Viola! Power! Anyways, I headed straight to 125fsb w/ 1/4 dividers. Saved and rebooted. Guess what?? The reboot problem is gone!!! I didn't do that 133fsb 1/4 divider then adjust hack, so I feel that my outlet was the problem. I guess it finally died on me. Strange thing however, I never noticed that problem with my temp system on it. I guess my machine sucks up some power. Anyways, I'm very happy :D

Yeah the ST6 does not have that reboot problem! And yes indeed these chips suck the juice over 1500MHz!

Quote by Ol'man....

Not really!

You can goto 1.6v on the ST6 without vid pinning. I ran my old tualatin 1.2GHz PIII on it for months and never saw a difference @ 166fsb/1500MHz. Never a reboot problem. One other thing! My old cel-t never hit 1.6GHz on anything less than 1.725v. When you vid pin the cel-t it only gives you a 1.675v setting as default so in essence it does not matter if at boot it was running 1.675v it would not boot period even the bios or vid card!

Can you dig it?

And as I have said before the problem only shows up on 'some' CPU's....Mainly the ones that 'cannot' post at all at the overclocked speed at default voltage....

Vid pinning to 1.675 volts usually fixes the problem as this is enough to keep it stable enough to boot until the bios post screen initalizes, the system then switches to the user defined vcore in the bios.

Yeah the ST6 does not have that reboot problem! And yes indeed these chips suck the juice over 1500MHz!

Like I said before....The St-6 probably 'does' have the reboot problem. Not to mention the Issue involving the St-6 and stability using the 1/4 pci divider that shows up on some boards....

Flu!d and Ol'man:

First of all, it is very generious of you to share your knowledge and experience with others, but please don't flame each other. And i understand that you guys only wish to advise people to get away from something that has the tendence to go bad, and in this case, "the reboot problem of xet/c and st6, or 815 chipset in general," but please don't fight like two senseless beasts!! why don't you two settle this by starting a thread, which people will vote on this matter. for example, "who owns st, and xet/c, and who has encountered this "reboot" problem, and etc. I believe you guys are smarter than i, so come up with something to shut each other up, instead of rebutting one after another.

Pinky said:
VH6T has a via chipset, but performs rather well anyway, and has a load of good tweaks and features.

ST6 will work nicely, but has some (in my opinion) not-so-good features (like a max of 512MB RAM and Highpoint controllers).

694T? Have you tried WPCREDIT on it? reliable >133? what are the extra features? any speed difference, ide and others?;)

Back