• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB and RAM ratio

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oYAKUZAo

hey guys, i heard that if you overclock your cpu,

and if it shows the ratio of RAm and bus speed is 1:1. it will performs better? is that true?

hey guys, i heard that if you overclock your cpu,

and if it shows the ratio of RAm and bus speed is 1:1. it will performs better? is that true?

1:1 is what you get, when you are in the LIMIT of OC your CPU and the RAM speed (in your case pc2-800). Anything beyond that (that is higher bus speed) will make your pc unstable.

If you what to push your CPU to a higher OC, you need faster RAM (1033, etc).

1:1 is the MAX ratio you can get with your actual RAM

You can allways OC the RAM to get a little more, but I do not reccomend it. What you can do is check the timings your RAM is capable (5-5-5-15) (4-4-4-14) and force that in the BIOS.
Mine is 2T,4-4-4-14 at 800mHz. That can improve performance a little bit. My mobo if set to auto, will use 5-5-5-15 wich is slower.
You can check what is your ram capable of with cpuz

The first part of your post makes no sense to me ibitato. The RAM divider (or ratio) is what the RAM bus speed is running at in relation to the CPU. It has nothing to do with "being in the limit of OC". Now, with his overclock of 3.2ghz on the Q6600, he probably has a FSB setting of 355-356. His ram running at a 1:1 ratio would mean that for every 1 FSB on the CPU, his ram gets 1 FSB (which in actuality is 2, because DDR stands for double data rate). So at 1:1 his RAM would only be running at 710mhz, which is quite below it's rated speed of 800mhz.

Now, it running at 5:6 just means that every 5 FSB ticks for the CPU, his RAM would get 6 FSB ticks. That would put his RAM running faster, at 852mhz, vs. the 710mhz of just running 1:1. More than likely his RAM won't have any problems running 52mhz over it's rated speed.

1:1 is used when you are first beginning the OC process. It's the lowest RAM setting, and will allow you to push your FSB higher w/o as much worry that your RAM will OC too far and hold you back.

Once you get your FSB where you want it, you can go back and try higher RAM dividers to increase bandwidth.

Same is true w/ the CPU multi. Start w/ it at 6, so that you can focus solely on the FSB speed. Once the FSB is good and stable you can up the CPU multi and just use vcore to get your CPU freq stable.

The first part of your post makes no sense to me ibitato. The RAM divider (or ratio) is what the RAM bus speed is running at in relation to the CPU. It has nothing to do with "being in the limit of OC". Now, with his overclock of 3.2ghz on the Q6600, he probably has a FSB setting of 355-356. His ram running at a 1:1 ratio would mean that for every 1 FSB on the CPU, his ram gets 1 FSB (which in actuality is 2, because DDR stands for double data rate). So at 1:1 his RAM would only be running at 710mhz, which is quite below it's rated speed of 800mhz.

Now, it running at 5:6 just means that every 5 FSB ticks for the CPU, his RAM would get 6 FSB ticks. That would put his RAM running faster, at 852mhz, vs. the 710mhz of just running 1:1. More than likely his RAM won't have any problems running 52mhz over it's rated speed.

Yes, you are right. I simplified things too much.
I was trying to do an example ... but yes, things are not that simple. Yes you are right. He is below his RAM top.
The fact is , he still has room for more OC until 800mhz on his RAM. I am at my "top" running my CPU at 3.2 Ghz.
I gues I made assumptions that are wrong.

WNow, with his overclock of 3.2ghz on the Q6600, he probably has a FSB setting of 355-356W --> yep, he can still go up.
I tried to state that when he hits 1:1, he is on the limit with his actual RAM
Sorry of my english........

iWAS running 3:4 now im trying to restableize for 4.75

400 FSB and ram is at 533x2=1066

on Crucial Ballistix 800mhz @ 2.0V -- i know they is the BOMB

iWAS running 3:4 now im trying to restableize for 4.75

400 FSB and ram is at 533x2=1066

on Crucial Ballistix 800mhz @ 2.0V -- i know they is the BOMB

I am on 1.8v RAM. I could also increase it to push the CPU higher but I am not sure my cooling would be proper. I know my RAM would handle it ( I have tested up to 1.94v). I also attached a fan to my NB, but it is not enough, my mobo is known for having high temps on the NB.....
This is why I OC to 3.2 Ghz (400x8), 1:1 with the RAM......
My NB is in 1.63v. 1.51 or 1.53 should be enough, but I get artifacts if I OC the 4870X2...... I have found that below 1.6v on the NB, affects my vid card when I OC it.

Maybe I am doing something wrong ??

well i believe the Soutbridge MCP, controls the PCI bus ?

I havent played with the SB voltage nor the PCI bus speed........... both are in auto.

I know it sounds weird or stupid, but I started to get artifacts on my 4870x2 while O.C. it when I played with the NB voltage. NB basically should only affect RAM, but ............

Any ideas ??

Back