• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(news) Intel and Nvidia Sue eachother

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oYAKUZAo

Intel and Nvidia have had agreements in place, allowing Nvidia to develop chipsets that support Intel's processors, and allowing Intel to use Nvidia's technology in their own motherboards.

All was well until Intel filed a lawsuit against Nvidia, claiming that said agreements don't allow Nvidia to build chipsets for Intel processors with integrated memory controllers, namely the Nehalem CPUs.

"Intel has filed suit against NVIDIA seeking a declaratory judgment over rights associated with two agreements between the companies," reads Intel's official statement. "The suit seeks to have the court declare that NVIDIA is not licensed to produce chipsets that are compatible with any Intel processor that has integrated memory controller functionality, such as Intel's Nehalem microprocessors and that NVIDIA has breached the agreement with Intel by falsely claiming that it is licensed. Intel has been in discussions with NVIDIA for more than a year attempting to resolve the matter but unfortunately we were unsuccessful. As a result Intel is asking the court to resolve this dispute."

Nvidia asserted that this lawsuit does not impact NVIDIA chipsets that are currently being shipped.

"We are confident that our license, as negotiated, applies," said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO of NVIDIA. "At the heart of this issue is that the CPU has run its course and the soul of the PC is shifting quickly to the GPU. This is clearly an attempt to stifle innovation to protect a decaying CPU business."

Huang said that, given the broad and growing adoption of NVIDIA’s platform innovations, it is not surprising that Intel is now initiating a dispute over a contract signed four years ago. Innovations like ION, SLI, Hybrid power, and CUDA threaten Intel’s ability to control the PC platform.

Watch Intel and Nvidia stalemate, SLI is dropped from X58 then it immediately has Lucid hybrid technology.

Intel is going hardcore on Nvidia in the graphics department. War is on.

Larrabee is serious business.

intel doesnt have a leg to stand in court imo. i mean we know how X58 is different then older LGA775 chipsets. im sure a judge will see it as well if he reads it all but i will go if X58 isnt a chipset as you state then what is it? from a tech standpoint can you really call X58 a chipset if it doesnt have a memory controller? what is a chipset by definition and will X58 fit this definition for the judge to put this into intel or nv favor. i still think intel will lose this in court...

intel doesnt have a leg to stand in court imo. i mean we know how X58 is different then older LGA775 chipsets. im sure a judge will see it as well if he reads it all but i will go if X58 isnt a chipset as you state then what is it? from a tech standpoint can you really call X58 a chipset if it doesnt have a memory controller? what is a chipset by definition and will X58 fit this definition for the judge to put this into intel or nv favor. i still think intel will lose this in court...

Well if Intel wins on that technicality that is pretty lame. Apparently they signed this agreement before Intel even made CPU's with IMC's, so those should be inclusive in the general CPU term in the contract.

But then again courts have a way of mishandling anything tech related. Half of these court judges are so old they don't even use a computer or the internet and are totally unaware about these tech issues.

Intel and Nvidia are both scared because the launches in Q4 09 and Q1 2010 are going to be the most important launches for these companies in a long time.

Who made the X58, I don't know what's going on.:confused:

Intel.

nVidia hasn't made any chipsets for i7. There is no 880i or 890i. But it sounds like nVidia would like the opportunity to make chipsets for i7...Intel just won't allow it b/c they don't think the i7 platform fits the terms of their previous licensing agreement w/ nVidia.

Intel.

nVidia hasn't made any chipsets for i7. There is no 880i or 890i. But it sounds like nVidia would like the opportunity to make chipsets for i7...Intel just won't allow it b/c they don't think the i7 platform fits the terms of their previous licensing agreement w/ nVidia.

Yeah because nVidia is loosing money on this front by not being able to do such. Though they are getting a licensee fee for SLI on the boards but still. Then again if they do have a chipset who says they'd pull support for SLI on X58 chipsets then.

IMO If nVidia removes SLI support on X58 chipsets they are shooting themselves in the foot just because they want there own chipset if they do plan on doing such.

Basically NVIDIA uses a memory controller integrated into their chips, this has nothing to do with X58 as it was stated this dispute has gone on for a while now. However since Nehalem uses an integrated memory controller I think Intel is afraid nvidia will "steal" some of that technology to benefit their own products. At least that's what I've gathered, the new ATi cards coming out will have a dedicated memory controller on the card itself.

As far as the comments by NVIDIA about the CPU dieing out, that's completely wrong. I would say it's more true that NVIDIA is losing their edge on the graphics department. ATi has access to AMD's hypertransport technology and fab processes... major benefit.

what e hell is wrong with intel.

see , this is what happen if 2 company of a different types agrees to work with eachother.

i kinda support nvidia tho. cause intel has this problem, of inconstant performance especially in CPU. today they will release a good cpu, then tomorow they will release a bad one. and so on.

umm WHAT? the last time intel released a bad cpu was with the netburst arch...

Alls I know is that nVidia makes some pretty good stuff in my eyes and I would hate to see them take a loss because of intel sueing. No offense, but intel has to be the most competetive company on the face of earth, and I'm not saying competetion is bad, but there has to be a line to cross here.

Alls I know is that nVidia makes some pretty good stuff in my eyes and I would hate to see them take a loss because of intel sueing. No offense, but intel has to be the most competetive company on the face of earth, and I'm not saying competetion is bad, but there has to be a line to cross here.

I think they're comparable in competitiveness. Neither Intel nor nVidia have any qualms whatsoever to cut throats and burn bridges if it helps them gain an edge. Yet both companies have some good products in their pocket. But nVidia's constant renaming of 2 year old products is really absurd and highly questionable.

I think they're comparable in competitiveness. Neither Intel nor nVidia have any qualms whatsoever to cut throats and burn bridges if it helps them gain an edge. Yet both companies have some good products in their pocket. But nVidia's constant renaming of 2 year old products is really absurd and highly questionable.
+1 when is Nvidia going to stop raping the consumers.:eek:

+1 when is Nvidia going to stop raping the consumers.:eek:

Already happened...ever since ATI became competitive again.

nVidia cards are priced very nicely right now IMO. I see folks scooping up 260's and higher all over the forums b/c the prices are so good right now. There was a 55nm core 216 GTX 260 for $180 AR recently...you just can't say that is rape...

Meh, if Larrabee comes out with rediculous performance I could easily seeing it going up to 1000$ for the best one. Similiar to their best CPU pricing structure when it comes out.

Intel rapes our money just as good as Nvidia.

Meh, if Larrabee comes out with rediculous performance I could easily seeing it going up to 1000$ for the best one. Similiar to their best CPU pricing structure when it comes out.

Intel rapes our money just as good as Nvidia.

lmao i dont think intel rapes their customers sure their prices are pretty high at first but thats how it is with EVERYTHING its nothing like nvidia selling their cards for 600 at launch...

i havnt really kept up with larabee but i dont think its going to have ridiculous performance will it?

my ruling would be:
thats a chipset with less stuff in it so nvidia owes you less money on the liscence of it. thanks for bringing that to everyones attention.

Intel just got loads of help from the gov't from the Stimulus Package so I would say that Intel is set to monopolize the market in the next 3 years. Say bye-bye to Nvidia & AMD/ATI... :(

Back