• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Cooling Setup Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kool_G6

Registered
I have a thermaltake wingrs case and the current fan setup i have now is currently a 120mm fan front intake, 80mm fan intake in gpu fan vent on side of case, 120mm exhaust and the PSU's 135mm fan pointing down to draw air out, i also still have the cpu duct in place for the cpu cooler... I was wondering if this is a good setup and or should i make changes to it... Thanks

Thats pretty common. Be nice to see another 120mm in the front as intake if there is mounts for it. If temps on the CPU are suffering you could get higher speed case fans, what CPU cooler do you have?

Many cases have more fans these days. Two 120 on the front, a 120 on the back, and one on the top exhausting, some even more.

Just got the stock cooler on the cpu right now, it's an amd x2 6000+ dual core.... No more room up front for any more fans. I think am going to cut a blow hole up top for the heat to escape. With the cpu duct in place at idle with a small load (internet explorer, winamp, msn etc...) i am gettin 31-33 degress, Full load encoding a DVD i am gettin maybe 51 degress on the cpu. Gpu idle with my 9800 gt i am gettin maybe 47 degress, which has a fan blowing on it from the vent in the side of the case next to the card. full load when gaming gets into the high 60's on the gpu.

get a big chassic. organise the cables nicely for sufficient airflow. .

heres the style. FRONT chassic - Air sucking in.

Side(if u have) - sucking in

BACK - blowing out.

good air cycle tho, but remember. it also depends on your room temp. if your room is hot and stuffy and u smoke inside. dont expect good temp. i usually on the aircon while playing game. even if i dont , no temp issue tho. seeing your temp very very low feels glorious :p

The top mounted fan is a good idea. I did it myself with a power supply 80mm and this things blows so much air, it droped case temps by 4 degrees C. My cpu is 3 degrees cooler and the biggest difference I saw was my hard drive temps drop 6 degrees! (the fan is basically right above the opty drive which is above the hdd)

Draw air in at the bottom and front and out at the back and top.

Here's my setup..

1 X 200 Blowing in at the front
1 X 120 blowing in on the bottom
2 X 120 on the door blowing in
1 X 120 at the rear blowing out
2 X 120 at the top blowing out

My case is .4 degrees warmer then ambient.

This is ofcourse the Sniper I7 setup and not the skeleton setup

Back