• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there such a thing as a custom processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erjed

Registered
I have a Dell 4100 P3 1GHz system and I was just wondering...is my processor different from the retail version of an Intel P3 1GHz FCPGA socket 370 processor?
I know that most brand manufacturers use custom parts such as PSU, motherboard, graphics cards, etc. But is there such a thing as a custom processor?
I know this is a silly question, but I was thinking... what if I damage my processor from all the tinkering I'm doing...will I have to buy from dell (@!%*&) or can I buy retail somewhere?
I'm definitely building my own system next time to avoid this kinds of issues, but for now I hope someone can answer my question.
Thanks.

No, there are no custom processors, although there are low-power consumption versions used in laptops in addition to regular units. You should be fine upgrading you Dell with any CPU- as long as your mobo will support it and the old CPU isn't soldiered to the mobo.

Dell doesn't solder their CPU to the mobo but they do use a really stupid form of thermal paste that glues your HSF to your processor. Don't every try to reomve it unless you plan on replacing your HSF too. I tried taking it off and I pulled my P4 straight from the socket. I had to freeze the HSF and the processor (still firmly glued to the HSF) and pry them apart with a razor blade, not to mention straighten out all the pins I bent with a very tiny set of pliers. I broke one but it doesn't appear to be doing anything since the comp still runs fine. I was lucky that thing had a heat spreader on it or I would've taken the core right off. But I pushed my luck waaaay over the edge, don't take that thing out if you can avoid it.

jazztrumpet216 said:
Dell doesn't solder their CPU to the mobo but they do use a really stupid form of thermal paste that glues your HSF to your processor. Don't every try to reomve it unless you plan on replacing your HSF too. I tried taking it off and I pulled my P4 straight from the socket. I had to freeze the HSF and the processor (still firmly glued to the HSF) and pry them apart with a razor blade, not to mention straighten out all the pins I bent with a very tiny set of pliers. I broke one but it doesn't appear to be doing anything since the comp still runs fine. I was lucky that thing had a heat spreader on it or I would've taken the core right off. But I pushed my luck waaaay over the edge, don't take that thing out if you can avoid it.

I've actually taken off my heatsink a number of times (I'm planning to replace it with an sk6). I don't believe mine has the thermal paste you were talking about. My heatsink came off pretty easily. There was just a thermal pad of some sort but it wasn't glued or anything. Maybe they started to do that to their new systems (how old is yours? pretty new I bet, it's a P4). Anyway just another reason to build your own, I guess.

To all: Thanks for the replies.

Yep, I got mine at the beginning of October. My guess is they didn't use that thermal paste/glue on yours because the CUmine 1GHz processors still have their core exposed. The 1.8 Willamette of mine has the IHS so they risked nothing by putting glue on it. Oh well, I scraped the stuff off and put some ASII on it. I guess it served me right for buying a Dell... I got this thing so I couldn't tinker with it too much. That's what the other rig's for.

Back