• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Selection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

I'm trying to find a fan design that's good for cooling the Noctua NH-U12P, but also has a PWM fan plug instead of the old 3 pin design... normally I'd just say Yate Loon and be done with it, but I can't find any yate loons that incorporate this design.

I would like it to be a PWM fan so I can connect it to the motherboard header on the board I want to get. I haven't quite decided on which of two setups I want, but both have PWM ports instead of the 3 pin fan ports that I'm used to. Times have changed, I guess.

i would recomand a coolermaster fan. silverstone is not bad. cause the fan's blade's material, they uses some kinda fabric or smt. which pushes air faster. im using it now.

whats more important is the CPU cooler your using. if your pc is just for normal, then just use the stock cooler. if your into overclocking, i would recomand asus silent knight 2. or maybe thermalright ultra 120 extreme for extreme overclocking on air

i would recomand a coolermaster fan. silverstone is not bad. cause the fan's blade's material, they uses some kinda fabric or smt. which pushes air faster. im using it now.

whats more important is the CPU cooler your using. if your pc is just for normal, then just use the stock cooler. if your into overclocking, i would recomand asus silent knight 2. or maybe thermalright ultra 120 extreme for extreme overclocking on air

My origional post includes a link to the cooler I want to use, which has been tested to be better than any air cooler I'm interested in, both in dual and single fan setups. The Noctua NH-U12P on even an i7's heatload beats out the thermalright Ultra 120 extreme.Both in OC'd and stock configurations the heatsink is superior to all other readily available options for air based coolers.

Personally, I think the TR is just an inferior unit, the noctua excels because it has much more surface area, and the fins extend the full length of a 120MM fan. But other than that, objective results just don't lie...

So, once again, I'm looking for a quality fan.If I wanted to use a heatsink like the asus you reccomended, I'd use my Zalman 9500, which I'd prefer and would probably have better results anyway.

Thank you for the fan reccomendations, blick. I think I'm also adding another thing to my wishlist, a pwm fan that glows white but doesn't suck. :(

Well, I'm using Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 in a push-pull configuration with 2 NF-P12 Noctua fans, which have only 3 pins.
Because I'm not using PWM my fans are at fixed RPM, which at noctua fans could be changed between 900-1100-1300RPM.
I'm using them at top speed (they are still quiet) which allow me to run my i7 920 OC at 3600MHz with top temperature after 8 hours of Prime95 at 70˚ Celsius.
I'm telling you this cuz I was looking for a PWM fan last month but I've realized that I dont really need it.
In fact I was so impresed by NF-P12 performance that I bought another 4 to replace my Antec P182 case fans :)
So, now I have a silent overclocked 35% PC, w/o the extra cost of water cooling.
Good luck.

Back