• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio mod for portable PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

I just finished building an ITX rig...

Morex Venus 668B case
4850e CPU with pII copper stock cooler
2x1GB DDR2-800 SODIMM
Jetway NC81-LF
320GB perp
20x DVDRW

It is going to be my "transport" rig back and forth to my Aunt's house. While I work on her apartments as well as help her get her business started up (handyman company)

Mainly because her laptop has AOL and Computer Associates Internet Security Suite installed on it, and I hate waiting 15 minutes for it to boot up :p

Tossed around the idea of a briefcase/suitcase mod to transport everything easily.. including 22" LCD and KB/M. But I think for now a simple audio mod for the case will be sufficient.

Anyone have recomendation for some "inexpensive" kit that may already exist?

I have a blank PCI expansion slot I can use, but would really like something that could conect to internal audio header, and maybe molex for power.

Thanks

EDIT: Hmm if I do the briefcase mod, I suppose I could just purcahse a monitor that has speakers already and mod a cable for 3.5mm to internal audio header... but would rather not go that route yet.

Last edited:
I haven't done it but i'd assume you could get some computer speakers and dissasemble them, mount them to the case then rip off the 3.5mm jack and attach it to the mobo header, just be sure to check the pinout. Use the 12volt to power the speaker-amp (they usually convert AC to 12 volt anyway, just check before you get the speakers). You can get the female headers on flEbay and probably other sites too.
Goodwill might have a set of good 'ole speakers for this purpose.

Yah that is what i figured on doing, was kind of hoping someone had done this before and had a simpler method, maybe even purchasing a speaker setup.

Back