• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UAC exceptions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

Call me strange, but I kind of like the UAC concept for the most part and don't really care to shut it completely off. That said, Is there anything like the windows firewall exception list to have it ignore the starting of programs that are already installed? For instance, I have Rivatuner in my startup folder and would like to put RealTemp in there, but especially while Vista is booting I don't want to have to deal with the elevated dialogs to allow the programs to run. Then of course there are the few progs like cpu-z, gpu-z and ATiTool that I use less often, but still don't want to have to approve them. I assume the reason these particular progs need approval is because they get into the hardware level of things where malware could do more damage, but geez, really? I gave the okay to install them, I would have thought that's enough.

You can disable the UAC prompts (without disabling UAC completely, by way of MSConfig / System Configuration--> "Tools" tab), and still retain UAC security like Protected Mode in IE by merging the following registry edit...
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000000

The default Value data for the ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin DWORD is 2, which results in the darkened screen and UAC pop-up to verify consent before proceeding. This setting can also be changed via Local Security Policy | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options | User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode | Set to Elevate without prompting.

Last edited:
Check out SmartUAC from Symantec. It'll let you whitelist programs, so you don't keep getting prompted for permission. Keep in mind that an otherwise ok program can get hijacked, and if you've given it permanent permission, it'll do what it wants. Using this is better than no UAC at all, but not as good as stock UAC.

http://www.replaceuac.com/what-is-smart-uac/

Hmm, well, I don't want to disable ALL prompts from UAC, and I don't want to install another program to bypass it in order to have the ideal environment, so I guess I'll just deal with the few prompts that I have at this point. Thanks for the information though guys!

Back