• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VGA Cooler Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TBQ

I'm in the process of building a small computer, which will probably spend most of its life as an HTPC. The problem with smaller computers is that they have poor airflow compared to their larger siblings. The primary purpose of this machine will be a media player, with some occasional gaming. I'm leaning toward a Radeon 4670 since it appears that it will allow me to play the games I play at 1920x1080, and costs under $100.
How much of a difference will the VGA cooler make in a small case? I would assume that a cooler that vents air directly out of the case would be the most ideal solution. I also assume that all 4 coolers shown below will sufficiently cool the card. But is it really worth a few extra bucks for a card with a more beefy, venting cooler? And no, I can't justify spending $40+ for an aftermarket cooler for an $80 card.

coolers.jpg

Thanks for any advice/opinions you have to offer.

My choices would be;

A) the MSI

or

B) HIS ICEQ

I had an MSI with that type of cooler and it ran extremely cool. You want to keep the heat out of the case, especially an HTPC. Just have some aiflow thru the case and it'll do just fine.

My choices would be;

A) the MSI

or

B) HIS ICEQ

I had an MSI with that type of cooler and it ran extremely cool. You want to keep the heat out of the case, especially an HTPC. Just have some aiflow thru the case and it'll do just fine.

Thanks. That's about what I was thinking too. But I just wanted to get someone else's opinion.

yea iceq is GOOOD. but expensive.

but if u want a good casing with good ventilation and airflow but easy on the wallet.

get asus vento ta-m11. im using it.

it has side ventilation windows. front and top ventilation . and the side panel allows u to put 2 120mm fan. 1 and the back and 1 infront.

go google it for your self. dosent look soo sexy tho on websites, but once u get hole of u, ull get horny when u look at it :p. jus kidding. yea its good.

i would honestly use that extra money buying a better video card with a stock/cheap cooler
and put an S1 or hr-03 on later on

Back