• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really Want To OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harleyman

Registered
But being new I'm literally petrefied to go it alone...

I have read and re read till I'm blue in the face about OCing...I have read my mobo manual countless times ..I am very famaliar with the features in the bios..

I built this computer..My first one..It started and passed its first post..YES..I was thrilled.So much that I built my wife one with a quad and CrossfireX set up....Then I built a friend one too... So I very much enjoyed the suscess of each first post......

Any one care to take this grown man by the hand and show me the how tos of this...I mean..I'm understanding of raising the FSB, but lost about mem timings and how to change them.....Never changed any value in the FSB ..

My system is.....

Case: Thermaltake VH8000BWS BK

Power: Corsair 850W 12V Single rail 70Amps

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 775 X48

CPU: INTEL|C2D E8600 3.33G 775 6M

CPU Cooler: Artic Pro 7

GPU: VISIONTEK Radion 900250 HD4870X2 2G

Mem: OCZ 2X2 @ 1066

HD1: 300 Gig VelociRaptor @ 10,000

HD2: 150 Raptor @ 10,000

HD3: 650 Gig Seagate @7,200 32Mb Cache

I use this rig just for FSX..The E8600@ 3.33 is not quite enough.....

I have great temps and a good heatsink..I run 37-38 and 48-55 under load...

Any takers for this old scardy cat???? LOL

Thanks......

Well, the best way to go about it is first you need some programs.

Realtemp/Coretemp (either or), Prime95/Orthos, LINX/ITB, CPUz. Basic programs NEEDED to monitor and test things. Also, superpi is what some people like (32m for stability, 1m for speedtesting).

Then just go into the bios, disable a few things. EIST/Speedstep/C1E features while you are testing. Lower your multiplier to the lowest setting (6x I believe?) and start raising your FSB to find your highest stable FSB. You should be able to bump it up to about 450 right off the bat and go from there being its a dual, or you could start safe at 400.

From there, start raising the vcore and FSB until you arent stable anymore. Find your MAX fsb, then begin raising the multiplier. Make sure you set your ram to its rated voltage to begin with as well.

Leave everything on auto for the time being besides vcore and vdimm. After youve achieved a stable clock you are happy with, begin tweaking the other voltages. You might just be able to lower your vcore after that.

***Edit, and NO, 3.3ghz isnt enough for most of us :)

Finding the max fsb is not really necessary with a cpu like the e8600 with a 10x multi. Just start bumping up the fsb in the bios by 10mhz, until you are not stable anymore. Then raise the vcore. Don't go above 1.45v ynless you don't card about your chip.

Doz...Thanks for that info...

I have realtemp Coretemp...I perfer HWMonitor..But will use any and all...

I have Prime 95 and 3DMark 06

So...After bringing down the multiplier to it lowest and raising the FSB to say 400-450.....

When raising the Vcore and FSB how do you tell if its unstable?

Thats another thing...I do not know how to set the ram back to its rated timmings in the bios..I have read how in the manual, but its Greek to me still... Any tips on that....

I read that this chip can easily go 3.6 on air and be very stable with good temps...

To do a quick and decent stability test, get LINX or Intel Burn Test. It will only take 10-20 minutes. Prime/Orthos takes awhile but should be run eventually.

True, you dont really need to find the max FSB, if you are happy w/ 4 ghz, set it to 400 FSB and 10x multi and you are there, probably w/ close to stock voltage.

I myself believe in higher FSB's as that used to be the way to overclock. People can doubt higher FSB as giving any performance increase, but I believe higher FSB is far more beneficial than multi.

Finding the max fsb is not really necessary with a cpu like the e8600 with a 10x multi. Just start bumping up the fsb in the bios by 10mhz, until you are not stable anymore. Then raise the vcore. Don't go above 1.45v ynless you don't card about your chip.

Now that sounds more along the lines I have hear to do on this chip....That is why I have yet to do this yet as I'm always unsure of what I actually should do......

Thanks for that...

Do I need to make sure my mem timings are stock..Linked / unklinked???

Let me check and see what they are now....Thanks

OK Thanks...I have Memtest too......

So... Looked in the bios..

Its multiplier is set to 10X now

My Ram timings are 5-7-7-20 All on Auto

OK Forgive my ignorance....Where is the FSB ??? I see nothing that called that at all...

I'm sure it must have another name ....

Thanks again....I'm feeling like maybe I can do this after all.....

After its done, do memory timings need changed too, cause I don't know how to do that too...sorry...LOL

should be something like core clock, system clock, clock frequency, or similar.. currently it will be set to 333mhz, or auto.

Also, make sure you set your pci freq to 33, and your pci-express to 100.. take them off auto.

AllRight then...I have what appears to be plenty of info..
Thank you all for that..
In the morning I will gather all this info up and print it off and give it a shot..

Also have some good info about ram from a link in this site to use for setting and testing timings....

Thanks for all your advice...
I will report back later tommorrow my success.....:beer:

Back