• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gpu overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeroc00l

Registered
how do i over clock my gpu using riva tuner im running a gigabyte ma770-ud3 mobo with a amd 64*2 7750 at 3.0 ghz and a power color hd 3450 graphics card i want to know how to increase the shader and mem clock and core clock

Install the latest version of RivaTuner, run it at the completion of installation, on the main tab, driver settings, forceware detected, click customize,system settings (first icon), check enable driver level overclocking, adjust to the desired overclock. On the fan tab, select direct control and boost the level to at least 60%, depending on ambient temp. You may have to go as high as 85%. Increases above 85% don't make a whole lot of difference on most cards, except for noise levels.

here is the main tab i dont see driver settings

Attachments

• riva.JPG
    riva.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 154
What you see from RivaTuner, depends on what you have for hardware.

RivaTuner can control the video card from the driver (if it's compatible), but it's showing that your driver is not compatible.

Do you see that "Customize..." and little icon up by the monitor description? On compatible cards, you'll see *another* "Customize..." and little icon, down just below the line showing "Catalyst 8.3 or newer".

From the "Customize..." icon you show, I can only control a few low level (lower than the driver), controls on my Nvidia card. Fan speed is one thing, but the rest of it I have little use for. In the Power User section, it tells me I can make an adjustment in my register at a certain key name.

Unfortunately, that key name is nowhere in my registry! :p

So right now, as a novice with RivaTuner, I don't believe you can overclock your GPU. They may come out with a better driver for RivaTuner, or ATI may come out with an updated driver. Worth checking into.

One of the things RivaTuner can do with a compatible board, is to show monitors of all the GPU's environment: core temp, speeds: core/shaders/memory, ambient temps, fan speed, fan duty cycle, voltages, etc. Click on the little icon next to "Customize..." and then click on the magnifying glass on graph paper, icon.

I'll add a screenshot here, so you can see what I'm describing:

RivaTuner1-1.jpg

You can get the monitoring panel on the left in the photo, by clicking on your hardware Customize... icon, Also the fan control window, at the bottom right, can be used to set up hardware fan profiles: fan60, fan70, fan80, etc., and save them.

The driver level control options, you don't have. That includes overclocking everything except the fans, unless you learn to do it via the "Power User's section", which is a bit of a mystery to me. My help icon shows only a single sentence or two; almost useless unless you're a RivaTuner Guru.

Nice try, Hinderpits, but he doesn't have the options we have. That window you show, is not available for him.

Last edited:
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I had to go look at my only ATI card to see how RivaTuner worked. It turns out Driver level overclocking isn't available on the ATI cards. You have to use the low level controls.
Clicking the customize button below the ATI 3400/Plug and play monitor, should open the low level controls and allow you to OC the card. Don't expect much out of a 3450.
Your screen shot looks different because it gives no additional info about the card under the first drop down box, as if Riva hasn't fully detected the card.
I suggest you upgrade RivaTuner, the latest version is 2.24, which will detect the current Cat version and probably detect the card properly.

I have the ver 2.24 of riva but apperentlly they came out with a new cat 9.2 im downloading now well see if that helps

or has anyone used atitool everytime i click on settings in atitool it locks up :(

What version of Cat drivers are you using? RivaTuner reports mine as Catalyst 8.12 detected, where yours it reports as Catalyst 8.3 or newer.

I think this is 9.2 when i download the new driver it starterted up in default vga mode
4bit color so i r5olled it back but kept the current cat

maybe i will try an older version because the only low level cotrols riva gives me is color and something else that wasnt very usefull:bang head

Attachments

• cat.JPG
    cat.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 129
catalyst 8.12 installed and no difference still only low level controls are color and refresh rate

does anyone now how to change the shader clock with the power user settings

No, but it has a Rivaturner/Overclocking/ATI entry. If you select it and then right click on it, it has a fair amount of info.

Watch what you're doing however, in that section. If you stress the card 100%, you can be sure you'll shorten it's life, considerably.

As far as i'm aware there is no way to separately adjust shader clocks on the red team. Your only option is to raise gpu core clock.

There is no unlinked shader overclocking on ATi cards, only memory and gpu core. Don't mess with the memory.

Back