• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much does overclocking raise power usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GMdoubleG

Hello all. Does overclocking your cpu increase the amount of power used by the system considerably? More specifically, I have a Corsair HX520w and am running a Q9450, 9800GTX, Swiftech 655 pump, 2 HDDs, DVD writer, and a sound blaster card on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P MoBo. I calculated the wattage used on a Power Supply Calculator and it said 381w. I would have just estimated the overclocking usage on the calculator but I have never overclocked before and I am eliminating this as a future variable when I start to learn on my own. Any and all help is appreciated.

Have a power wattage display on the back of my PSU and regardless of what i`ve plugged in and clocked up to on CPU and GPU under load its still the same 280/290 watts and around 140 idle.

Q6600 & GTX280

Sure someone with a real clue as to the science will come along soon.

Hello all. Does overclocking your cpu increase the amount of power used by the system considerably? More specifically, I have a Corsair HX520w and am running a Q9450, 9800GTX, Swiftech 655 pump, 2 HDDs, DVD writer, and a sound blaster card on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P MoBo. I calculated the wattage used on a Power Supply Calculator and it said 381w. I would have just estimated the overclocking usage on the calculator but I have never overclocked before and I am eliminating this as a future variable when I start to learn on my own. Any and all help is appreciated.

GM,

Does it increase "considerably?" No.

Does it increase it? Yes but not enough for you to be concerned about with that power supply. As a layman's guess, if you overclocked your CPU nicely and kicked up the core clock on your video card, you might draw another 50-60 watts combined. I think the PSU calculator over rates somewhat too. I would be surprised if you draw more than 400w total by overclocking your CPU AND video card.

Back