• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD4870 cooling. S1 Rev2 and vf1000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

I'm thinking of the AC Accelero S1 Rev2 as a good replacement for my stock dual-slot cooler for my card. It gets far too hot for my liking [up to 80c under ATitool and low-mid 70s for gaming], but I want to make sure that if I'm going to spend the money I'm going to get decent enough results out of it. First off, anybody else using this cooler with a 4870? Either with the Turbo module, or just an aftermarket fan is fine, I"m curious as to the performance of both solutions. Also, are the ram and VR sinks that come with it copper or aluminum, and how well do the VRM sinks in particular do? I'm about as concerned with under cooling the vrms as much as the gpu core itself, so if I need to order something extra I'd like to get it all at once.

If the S1 isn't going to cut it, I was also considering the vf1000 as the high end of what I'm hoping to spend. My same questions apply for this solution as well. Does it seem to work well enough, and do the sinks do a good enough job?

Thanks burebista, great link. However, that brings another question: How do I know any of those are going to work better than what I've got now? According to that test, the stock cooler at 100% fan was better in every section except noise. Aside from a difference in brand, that's more or less the same dual-slot cooler that my card has. I assume that I'll see better results with an aftermarket solution, but I'd sure be upset if I didn't. Honestly, if I could get those kind of temps with 100% fan speed on my stock cooler, I wouldn't think twice about upgrading it. I'd embrace the noise, and then crank up the volume on my tv :)

Unfortunately with aftermarket cooling solutions you'll see a high VRM temperatures because of improper cooling in VRM area.
Now there are discussions about how high VRM temperature can go safe but frankly even if 100°C would be safe for VRM's I'm not so comfortable with this value. :)
To be honest low-mid 70s in gaming for your stock cooling looks perfect fine to me. What temperature do you have for VRM's?

Unfortunately with aftermarket cooling solutions you'll see a high VRM temperatures because of improper cooling in VRM area.
Now there are discussions about how high VRM temperature can go safe but frankly even if 100°C would be safe for VRM's I'm not so comfortable with this value. :)
To be honest low-mid 70s in gaming for your stock cooling looks perfect fine to me. What temperature do you have for VRM's?

What about a full cover block?

I wish I knew. Even with the most recent version of GPU-Z, it's not showing me those temps. I only get the gpu and the io temps [gpuio, shaderio, etc]. I've seen screenshots with those temps being read, but I don't see any options to set within the program to get them.
What about a full cover block?
I'd love to watercool, but it's definitely not in the budget right now. I wish I already had a loop setup, a full coverage block and a few fittings would have been ordered at the same time as the card. Unless you're asking about a full cover block doing a good job of cooling the vrms, in which case I'm guessing that's the best option.

Alien, I see you're using the Twin Turbo. What kind of temps are you looking at while gaming and under an artifact search in ATitool? Also, have you ever used the S1 Rev2 with the turbo module? If so, how does it compare to the Twin Turbo in terms of cooling?

My temps are pretty close to those found in the link in post#2 but slightly better. I haven't used ATI tool much so can't help you there and never have used s1 rev2. The stock cooler was just too loud for me but actually did a better job of cooling VRM's. I have over clocked it as high as 810 but usually run them about 780 while gaming with not heat issues. The newer cards with pipe coolers do a great job. I have the original Visiontek cards and paid around $240 for them plus $40 for after market cooler. I got a SAPPHIRE 100259L for my son $164 at newegg now and they run quiet and cool.

I got the 100259-1GL which appears to have the identical cooler as the one you bought your son. I'd hate to go through the hassle of re-seating the stock cooler and chance tearing the thermal tape, but if it helps it would be worth it to me to save $60. What's the likelihood I just have a bad seat? The heatpipes get hot, so I assume they're doing their job correctly. I'm just not sure why my temps seem to be higher than average.

Well current stock cooler seat may not be that good. It may be worth removing stock cooler and checking contact. Add some better thermal paste and maybe even lap cooler. Some beefier memory heat sinks maybe in order too. I'd check case temperature and maybe add a 120mm Fan in there blowing on VGA card. I ended dumping regular case and instead going with a tech bench for better air flow and I can mount fans where I need them.

I'll see how adventurous I feel this weekend maybe. If I were to mess up the thermal tape on the vram and vrms, where could I find replacement material for it?

Back