• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First OC..Help W/ Mem Timings Plse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harleyman

Registered
Hi..Am about to do my first CPU OC...This rig was in a shop and they messed with the ram timings...I was advised to put them to the manufactures recommended settings before OCing my CPU...

I have OCZ p8500 2X2 @ 1066 now.....HOWEVER

Stock timings are ....5-5-5-18 @ 2.1 Volts

Mine are set to.....5-7-7--20 Volts unknown yet?

So..I went into the bios and found the timings..All were set to auto..I changed them to manual and then set the correct timings for each.....

I did not see where the voltages are displayed to check that

I booded in and then entered the bios again...

Nothing had changed in the left colume..My settings were still on the right, but the left colume was still showing the old timings of 5-7-7-20

Question?... How do I make these values stick( something must not be enabled to allow that and I do not know what that might be)

Question?... What do I need to do to see the voltages if they need resetting ? ( again something must need enabeling to see these values) or I have no clue where to look...

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 Socket 775

Is there a guide somewhere that I can follow to change the timings and voltages somewhere..I have read my manual and come up with nothing, and am scared to change much there as I have no clue what most is or does...LOL

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.....:)

check PC status or PC health in your bios it should display your current voltage bump it up accordingly

In your bios is there an option for EPP (ehanced performance profile)? If you enable that it should kick your mobo into correct voltages and timings for 1066 speed as long as this info is programmed by OCZ into the ram. IN most of the high end newer ram it is. Notice I said "should".

Thank you Trents for that...I will have a look.. So by doing that my timings will reset to default?

Thats what I can't get done..I changed them fro auto to manual..But on reentering the bios they are still not showing my values...

There are no options in Int Tweaker to adjust voltages...Just view them... i meant PC Health

In your bios is there an option for EPP (ehanced performance profile)? If you enable that it should kick your mobo into correct voltages and timings for 1066 speed as long as this info is programmed by OCZ into the ram. IN most of the high end newer ram it is. Notice I said "should".

No such animal in my bios with that name or feature........

In Tweaker my timings show one value...Its incorrect..They were set to AUTO.......

I changed them to say Manual and then made the change to where I wanted them to show(stock values)

The colume on the right, now reading My Values and Manual are there....BUT

The values on the left ( the ones I'm trying to change) have not changed..

What do you do to make those changes happen?
Oviously its taking them off auto and changing its value...Cause then do not change in the left hand colume...

Like this....

Left Colum / Right Colum
5 ...... ........... 5
7 ................. 5
7 ................. 5
20 ................. 18

I need to change colume (left) to be the values in colume (right)

??? That is all I need to know....Its not happening when I change the values manually..There has to be somewhere else that needs changed to allow that to happen...

Do you have the latest bios installed for your motherboard?

Download and install a little program called Speedfan. It will tell you what your voltages are for your cpu and your ram and what your temperatures are. Also download a little program called CPU-z. It will tell you some basic information about your system: make and model of mobo, clock speed of your cpu and your buses and - what your memory timings are currently set to and what they should be at various common speeds. Look under the SPD tab of CUP-z.

Turn off your power saving options in bios. They can prevent you from changing settings and sabotage overclocking. I wish I could help you more but I'm not familiar with intel-based boards.

Are you pressing F10 key and "Yes" to save changes?

Last edited:
Harleyman, this strikes me a being really a mobo issue. I suggest you repost this over on the motherboard>Intel side of the forum.

Will do trents....Thanks so much..

Sorry I had to return my daughter to college today unexpectedly so I have been gone most of the day....

I appreciate all your help and ideas ....

Back