• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the odds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLoki

Ok... so I've been unlucky with my GTX285's >.<

Started off, I bought two from the egg, all is good for about a month. Then I start getting blue screens when SLI is enabled, and the computer won't boot, blue screens as soon as it hits windows and tries to initialize the display drivers. Call EVGA, RMA secondary card, it's determined it has faulty video memory..

I received my replacement on Friday, only to my dismay that it does not show up in the Device Manager. I try uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, reseating the card, etc. No dice, so I move the card into my primary PCIe slot and sure enough, the computer doesn't POST, there was a long series of beeps and then it just sat there.

Anybody have any ideas for the new card? EVGA is already going to RMA but I want to avoid sending it in if I don't have to.

wow..its good that u wana run a GTX285 on SLI mode..but

a single gtx285 is alrdy solid enough man :D ..MORE then "solid enough". its GREAT!

and my IT teacher told me, running on SLI dosent make any different, dont know true or not.

haha if i were u rite, ill just use 1 gtx285 and a another one, ill sell it back . with the cash, ill get another OCZ RAM of urs, a new after market cooler and so on..better things worth fore :D..

alright..for your problems..i think theres some SLI cable which need to be fixed. try checking the cables properly. if the problem presist, might be your GPU.

Odds rare. I've heard a few people had issues with these as well with the second one being bad :( All you can do is try getting another, if anything take out the other card and boot just with that one in the primary slot. If ti works put your other in, move that one down to the SLI slot and try again.

It might be your motherboard thats causing the issue, or its possible, though unlikely that your PSU might be causing an issue as well.

wow..its good that u wana run a GTX285 on SLI mode..but
a single gtx285 is alrdy solid enough man :D ..MORE then "solid enough". its GREAT!
and my IT teacher told me, running on SLI dosent make any different, dont know true or not.

2x 285's in SLI will run basically anything at 1920x1200 with what ever setting you toss at it. So he has the right mindset for having 2 of them, I've been contiplating of getting a second one myself since you can nab them for or could get them for $295.

They have there benifits of SLI/X-Fire so your IT guy has it wrong man. Use to run 2x 4850's in X-Fire and that was on the cheap and made one heck of a system that you couldn't do with a single card at the time. Now my GTX285 makes up for it, but still the 2x 4850s where faster in some cases. Just that SLI/X-Fire just adds another issue to the system driver wise.

Hopefully you get ti fixed, really would like to know the performances you get with it in games since im really curious about it myself.

well it was absolutely outstanding, for the first month before my secondary went bad, and like I said, I tried the new card in the primary slot and I didn't POST, and I have a Corsair HX1000w so I kinda doubt its the PSU.

Using Crysis as an indicator of performace, I was getting 40-50 fps avg at 1920x1200 with 2xAA (the game looks better with its own Edge AA though, and performs better :D)

Back