• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLZ help - Q9400 not doing well on stress test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RussMan71

NO overclocking has been done yet because I"m concerned about the temps I'm getting when running the OCCT stress test. I'm using RealTemp to monitor my temps. Here's the info

At idle (with some minor fluctuation)
Core1: 37
Core2: 32
Core3: 33
Core4: 34

I have the CPU Core voltage regulated by the motherboard (on auto). I think the CPU core voltage is pretty low; somwhere around 1.15 - 1.18.

As soon as I start OCCT and I'm runnnig at full load, the temps skyrocket to the low 70's in a matter of a couple of minutes. Roughly 30c to TJmax on core 1. Do I want to risk going much higher in temps?

Next I reset Max\Min recordings in RealTemp and then loaded up FarCry 2 at the highest graphic settings and then played for about an hour. When I checked RealTemp, it showed that I reached a max of 56c during game play. Is that normal considering I haven't even done any overclocking yet???

I have excellent air flow in my case. I also checked to make sure that my CPU fan was kicking into overdrive when the stress test was being performed and it did. It jumped from about 1100 to 2450 RPM's. Max cap is 2500 RPM.

The frustrating part is that from what I've read, this processor and motherboard combo are built for overclocking and yet it seems I'm running pretty hot without making any adjustments to the FSB or the voltages?!??! :confused:

I used Artic Silver when installing the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7. I put a very thin coat of it on and used the edge of a business card to spread it evenly across the chip. From what I can tell, the CPU cooler looks to be mounted correctly.

If I didn't have a good mount or maybe used too much thermal grease, would my idle temps still be that good?

Why does core 1 run hotter than the other cores? It's about 5c hotter than the other cores. Is it normal?

When running at full load, what are the max "safe" temps I should be looking for?

Scenario: I run my OCCT test and I'm able to remain stable for the full hour yet my temp during the test on core 1 is around 85c. Although it remains stable, is their potential to damage my chip over the long run because of the higher temps it will running at?

Thanks for your help/advice! :)

the idle temps look fine, but the load temps are really pretty high

try another temp monitor like speedfan/coretemp/hwmonitor and see what you get.. idk if most temp sensors are still reading the 45nm cpus a bit wrong

try remounting though, and see where that gets you

I would recommend not spreading the thermal compound with a card but putting a small dot in the center of the proc. The pressure from the cooler will spread it out very nicely.

those temps do seem pretty high for that cooler. I used that same one for my Q6600 before going to water and i could overclock it to around 3.4 with out temps reaching that high.

OH make sure you check you bios and see if there is a setting for you coolers fan it maybe set to a quiet or low noise setting and it might only kick up the fan after it gets hot. (never mind i just reread your post.)

What does your voltage jump to under load?

I'm currently at work right now, so I'll have to get back to you on some of this. Here's what I plan to do.

I'll download another temp monitor like CoreTemp and retest under load and see if I see any improvement. If not I'll remount and reapply the AS5 to see if that improves my cooling.

I ran so many tests, off hand I can't remember exactly what the voltage jumped to under load. I'll retest tonight after work and check.

Thanks for the quick response!

Last edited:
The Freezer7pro comes with MX-2 pre-applied to the base of the cooler... did you clean that off before pplying any AS5? Additionally, I dont really think that the Freezer7pro handles quads all that well, more suited to duals.
+1 for checking load voltages since you have it set to auto. Maybe try manually setting it to 1.25 or something in that range.

The Freezer7pro comes with MX-2 pre-applied to the base of the cooler... did you clean that off before pplying any AS5? Additionally, I dont really think that the Freezer7pro handles quads all that well, more suited to duals.
+1 for checking load voltages since you have it set to auto. Maybe try manually setting it to 1.25 or something in that range.

Yes I did remove the pre-existing thermal paste; although I didn't use rubbing alcohol to throughly clean it. I plan to do that this time before I reapply AS5.

Hmmm...maybe I'll consider returning the Freezer7 Pro back to NewEgg, considering I just bought it less than 2 weeks ago. If the temps don't get better after the reapplication of the AS5 I may be forced to do it. Any suggestions on a cooler for a quad. Don't want to attempt water cooling just yet. :)

I'll try your suggestion with the voltage adjustments if the damn thing is still running HOT on {auto}. Very frustrating considering I haven't even begun to overclock it.

Now I just gotta find time to do it!
Thanks for the help

^^ Nothing better for the price!

As far as teh voltages go. When you DL Coretemp, it will show you your VID (stock voltage). Manually set your voltage to that.

If you do decide to return it, this would make a good replacement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

Mine works well on my quad.

Edit: If you do get the xigmatek, dont remove the MX already applied as it works well.

Thanks for the info. I went with the freezer pro 7 cuz of all the great reviews it got on NewEgg. It's gotta be something on my end. I'm hoping to see a big improvement once I redo the install. I'll post back with the results when I can.

Newegg reviews are garbage. Now that you are joined in here, I wouldnt look anywhere else. ;)

Thanks for the info. I went with the freezer pro 7 cuz of all the great reviews it got on NewEgg. It's gotta be something on my end. I'm hoping to see a big improvement once I redo the install. I'll post back with the results when I can.

The freezer7pro is a good cooler, but just doesnt handle quads very well. Its still a fine, low-noise, mid-range cooling solution for duals imo.

Thank the cooling GODS...it's fixed! Basically the problem was that one of the pins wasn't entirely locked down. Don't know how I missed it on the original install?! Frustrating cuz I could swear I checked it. Truth be told, it was a bit of a pain in the butt to get the thing mounted properly...I don't care for the pushpin attachment method. Bottom line it's working.

Overclocked it from 2.66 to 3.44 and it's now topping out at about 55c. HUGE difference. Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Pushpins suck and that is the reason why.

And considering this was a new build, I could have easily used a different cooler that used a mounting plate with standard screws. Easier to install and IMO would hold the heatsink to the CPU much better.

Now I know....:-/

Back