• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood 2.2 + P4T-E .. 2.64ghz only?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pacino

The devil’s advocate
As promised, I just got my baby 2.2 northwood up and running, Temp is AMAZING!! after like 6 hrs of benchmarks & tests, it sits anywhere between 31~34c !!! .. isn't that awesome? .. one more thing that I wanted to ask you guys, I'm unable to go over 2.64 for some reason, shall I try the mobo jumpers instead of the bios soft menu settings? .. Currently solid stable (so far) @ 120x22 .. Any suggestions? .. I'm using a Swiftch heatsink + Arctic silver.. tempreture doesn't seem to be the problem right now, or does it? :)

What voltages are available?

My advice would be to reach the magical 133mhz bus (assuming you have voltage settings to get there and your memory can run that high)... anything over 120mhz with the PCI divider at 1/3 will push the PCI cards too far out of spec, which is probably why you're not getting higher... that, and more voltage ;)

That's a fairly typical overclock for those current Northwoods from what I'm seeing in the reviews. The exception is when they are supercooling the chip and using much higher voltages.

My:

1g athlon hits 1300+ easily 30% O/C

2 600cellies hit 945+ for a 50% O/C

1800+(1.53g) only to 1.726 pretty crappy O/C (I havent had time to REALLY play with this chip/MB)

So if the 1g achieves a 30% then the 2.2 should too. The cellies are unique in the amount of O/Cing (how many CPU speeds do you know hit a 50% O/C?)

I am not impressed unless you hit a 30% O/C. All CPUs should be able to hit 20%

So keep trying. Try a volt mod. And dont worry too much about the heat. you have 10c before you should worry.

Lancelot said:
2.2 "only" to 2.64?! I understand you're expecting more, but that's a 440Mhz OC just like that man!

hehe True!! .. but I was expecting 3.0Ghz to be honest, and I'll keep trying to get there.. IMO, vcore voltage is my problem, I'm unable to get more than 1.65v on my bios.. I'll look around for some core moding doc online as what bro stompah mentioned...

hey pacino, you sure go for the gusto outta the box, don't ya? hehe...ever heard of a burn-in, man? You might get 3 if you'd take your time, eh? Good luck...:D

Those Northwoods are the first stepping out of the chute. The next stepping will be better. I really don't think many people are going to hit 3 gig without super cooling. I agree with a couple of the others that posted, a 400 to 500 MHz overclock is quite impressive. You're already running faster than the vast majority of overclockers. Hehehe, some people are never satisfied.

takiwa said:

true, true...

only the people on this forum...

god, I love overclocking... :D

Who doesn't? .. hehehe, I just placed an order for a watercooling system, YES I'M NOT SATISFIED!! LOL! .. I'd love to see 3Ghz Rock solid, it's amazing now @ 2.68Ghz, pretty impressive boot timing, apps installation etc... I truly don't think a 500mhz on a 2.2Ghz northy would be much, compared to celies where they're almost 100% overclockable... hitting 3Ghz ain't even 50% overclocking on northy, I'll keep trying!! :)

pacino said:
Who doesn't? .. hehehe, I just placed an order for a watercooling system, YES I'M NOT SATISFIED!! LOL! .. I'd love to see 3Ghz Rock solid, it's amazing now @ 2.68Ghz, pretty impressive boot timing, apps installation etc... I truly don't think a 500mhz on a 2.2Ghz northy would be much, compared to celies where they're almost 100% overclockable... hitting 3Ghz ain't even 50% overclocking on northy, I'll keep trying!! :)

idont know if you wille ver look but i hit 2.97 stable on a 2.2 northwood on my gf's rig. stock air coolng. full load at 52 degrees. idels at 42.

Back