• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DPS Mobo Loud Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harmus

Hey guys i recentley got an old computer and its got a gigabyte mobo in it. its a ga-sinxp1394

its just a old computer to surf the net so its fine. its very very loud tho. can it run okay with out the DPS card. i am not sure, its just the fan is very loud. i don't want to just unplug the fan incase something blows.

what should i do?

As long as you have a lower power cpu, I don't see a problem with unplugging it.

If it reboots without it, then the answer is to plug it back in and hunt down a quiter fan solution! :D
You could also either jury rig an 80mm fan to blow on it, or even make a cardboard duct to vent some of the back case fan's airflow to it...I wouldn't run it without a fan though.

*DPS=dual power system, an add on card with more power handling bits on board.

Never heard of a DPS card. "More power handling bits on board?" What does it do? Is it supplementing the psu? The CPU?

no, more mosfets and capacitors etc...it adds the capacity to move more watts to the cpu than the original components were able to do when the newest heavy duty processors came out back then.
The add on card gave the board more real-estate to run parallel circuitry, thus increasing the wattage it would need to feed an overclock.

If I'm not mistaken, board makers were caught by surprise when they found what power the new generation of cpu's would draw. They were ready with the sockets, a little slow with NB/SB, and shocked at the wattage when the chips hit the fan....uh, market.

Funny how things turn around, my entire system, USB's and all takes less wattage than your Phenom alone....

Last edited:
Back