• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice as to what heatsinks to buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

k959

Registered
hi im looking for some advice as to what heatsink to get for my intel q9550 i would like to spend around $50 but can go all the way up to about $75 i am also looking for a heatsink for my geforce 260 gtx to get its temps down out of the 60 range at idle (yes i know gpu's are rated for more heat then cpu but i want this comp to last 3-4 years)

For the cpu, I would recommend the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme. It's within your price range. When lapped, it's arguably the best air cooler available. Like all the tower coolers that take 120mm fans it is tall so you will need a case at least 8" wide to accommodate it unless you are willing to modify the side panel. It does not come with a fan but will accept two fans for a push pull setup if desired.

yea trents is right, a lapped Thermalright ultra 120 extreme aka TRUE makes the best cpu cooler ever.

but BEST combo if u lap your CPU to( not recomanded if you dont know how to, RISKY)

hi im looking for some advice as to what heatsink to get for my intel q9550 i would like to spend around $50 but can go all the way up to about $75 i am also looking for a heatsink for my geforce 260 gtx to get its temps down out of the 60 range at idle (yes i know gpu's are rated for more heat then cpu but i want this comp to last 3-4 years)

I'm running the TRUE 120 Extreme on my Q6600....
I run the quad @ 3.6 GHz all day long, every day, and under load the highest I've seen it reach was 51c. Under normal use the temps are in the high 30's to mid 40's; idles in low- to mid- 30's.
Haven't ran any torture tests yet, but when I ran the Windows Experience Index, the loads were over 90% for a couple minutes and the temps were in the high 50's.

So basically, get the TRUE 120 Extreme; the thing is unbelievable.

Back