• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stand-offs are terrible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

I love buying new cooling solutions. I can be as happy as can be until I open the package and they use standoffs to connect the Heatsink/block to the backplate sitting behind the motherboards. I hate these things because they always seem to either crack, or the threads strip out of the backplate. To make it worse, my local hardware stores don't carry anything that is even close to what they are.

Is there another names for these stupid things so that i can recheck my hardware stores for some more.
I am going to call OCZ tomorrow so they can send me more.

OCZ-Hydroflow-10.jpg

but they look like solid metal ones for mobo's how the hell did you break those, assuming you did?

but yes its a stupid design, just make the screws longer to go into the backplate. then again it lets you take the block off without taking out the board...

OCZ-Hydroflow-10.jpg

but they look like solid metal ones for mobo's how the hell did you break those, assuming you did?

but yes its a stupid design, just make the screws longer to go into the backplate. then again it lets you take the block off without taking out the board...

The ones I broke a while ago cracked on me.
The ones I broke last night stripped on the threads.

Alright, so I just got off the phone with OCZ and the guy (who sounded like he is trying to get over a hangover) said they do not have extra stand offs to send me.
I will remember this in future purchases.
I looked all around town and noone had anything that would work. No stand offs and no bolts long enough to reach the plate.

Mud, can you provide a link to that thread? I'm curious as well what your solution was.

Dapman, read my answer to you in the watercooling forum. It will solve your problems I think.

LOL, I did, problem is I'm having trouble focusing on stuff today, so I'm having trouble visualizing it.
I did eventually find a standoff that is working (I found one around my house), but I might just buy another block anyway, for the better cooling.

Back