• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no pagefile for xp with 256mb of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dissolved

every now and then ill get a "page file in non paged file" error..
i have 128mb on each of my hdd's.. but i only have 256mb of physical ram.. would it be ok to disable page file period? cuz there errors and driving me nuts...

you should be able to do that in your systems property settings

jbell said:
you should be able to do that in your systems property settings

well i wasnt asking that, i was asking if i disabled the pagefile period if that would stop that @$#@#@# error i get all the time, and if 256mb is enough to run?

256 is close ifd you had 512 i would say yes... but XP is a memory hog!!!

I would adjust it to have less but not none.

jbell said:
256 is close ifd you had 512 i would say yes... but XP is a memory hog!!!

I would adjust it to have less but not none.

yea.. i think theres a reg hack to tell xp to use all the physical memory be4 useing the pagefile.. but the reg entry i have was very old, from some webpage someone did be4 XP was out.. so i dunno..

anyone the hack for that?

jbell said:
and power toy for windows will fix that....

that free or what?
i think i have it.. but im not sure.. ill have to search through about 10 folders on my cluttered 60gig to see if i have that

Dissolved said:
every now and then ill get a "page file in non paged file" error..
i have 128mb on each of my hdd's.. but i only have 256mb of physical ram.. would it be ok to disable page file period? cuz there errors and driving me nuts...

is the error you get "page fault in non paged area" or am I wrong

If it is here is what I found on it in the microsoft fourm

Essentially it means that your system is carrying a device driver that tried
to access data in non-paged pool, but couldn't get to it. Meaning, it was
(probably) trying to dereference an invalid pointer, which pointed to device
driver's non-paged pool. if you programmed it, get it right! else, try to
get an update of the driver...

Re: Re: no pagefile for xp with 256mb of ram?

Maddman said:

is the error you get "page fault in non paged area" or am I wrong

If it is here is what I found on it in the microsoft fourm

Essentially it means that your system is carrying a device driver that tried
to access data in non-paged pool, but couldn't get to it. Meaning, it was
(probably) trying to dereference an invalid pointer, which pointed to device
driver's non-paged pool. if you programmed it, get it right! else, try to
get an update of the driver...

yea thats what i get...
but m$ can shove it, cuz they still havent fixed there BSOD's

I don't think 256Mb is enough to ditch the pagefile. I would say that 384 is the absolute minimum. 512 should be OK.

You can try tho.

Re: Re: Re: no pagefile for xp with 256mb of ram?

Dissolved said:

yea thats what i get...
but m$ can shove it, cuz they still havent fixed there BSOD's

What it sounds like to me is all three of these problems are connected to each other. My roommate is having the same problems with a geforce 2 mx card and it was much worse under win98 for him after running for 6 months flawlessly.

Re: Re: Re: Re: no pagefile for xp with 256mb of ram?

Maddman said:

What it sounds like to me is all three of these problems are connected to each other. My roommate is having the same problems with a geforce 2 mx card and it was much worse under win98 for him after running for 6 months flawlessly.

ill probly just buy a new psu and see if that works... i think thats my prob..

I had that BSOD before, it was all driver problems. I thought "page fault in non paged area" was the ram? I don't see how disabling page file would help the error. Just try to find what driver is causing it. Just possibly unistall all your hardware and install everything one by one. May take a while, but it's better than reinstalling windows because your harddrive got corrupted from the constant BSODs.

Accually, try to uninstall ACPI. It maybe painful because you no longer will have auto shutdown and standby, but you will get more stable. Go to device manager, and go to update driver under computer, select from list, then just choose the "standard PC" driver. I remember I recieved all these errors from ACPI being installed;

IRQ_L_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
BAD_POOL_CALLER

IMO, no auto shutdown, is worth no more BSODs. Well I still get them sometimes, just not those ones.

satan said:
I had that BSOD before, it was all driver problems. I thought "page fault in non paged area" was the ram? I don't see how disabling page file would help the error. Just try to find what driver is causing it. Just possibly unistall all your hardware and install everything one by one. May take a while, but it's better than reinstalling windows because your harddrive got corrupted from the constant BSODs.

Accually, try to uninstall ACPI. It maybe painful because you no longer will have auto shutdown and standby, but you will get more stable. Go to device manager, and go to update driver under computer, select from list, then just choose the "standard PC" driver. I remember I recieved all these errors from ACPI being installed;

IRQ_L_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
BAD_POOL_CALLER

IMO, no auto shutdown, is worth no more BSODs. Well I still get them sometimes, just not those ones.

well ill have to reinstall XP neways seeing i just ordered the new ibm 80gig 120gxp ;)
so is there a way i can turn it off be4 i install everything?

Dissolved said:

well ill have to reinstall XP neways seeing i just ordered the new ibm 80gig 120gxp ;)
so is there a way i can turn it off be4 i install everything?

Disable it in your bios. Probally it's under something like "power options" Just look for ACPI function and make sure it says disabled. You can leave APM enabled in the bios, hopefully you can still use that, it will enable you to auto shutdown, but it won't do the extreme IRQ sharing of ACPI. Hope it works for you.

satan said:

Disable it in your bios. Probally it's under something like "power options" Just look for ACPI function and make sure it says disabled. You can leave APM enabled in the bios, hopefully you can still use that, it will enable you to auto shutdown, but it won't do the extreme IRQ sharing of ACPI. Hope it works for you.

ok u kinda confused me?
what extaully would u do to get my pc to stop rebooting itself?

Trying to disable the pagefile (even with 1gig RAM) can only mean one thing: absolute absence of understanding what a pagefile is, and what it is there for.

Read up.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: no pagefile for xp with 256mb of ram?

Dissolved said:

ill probly just buy a new psu and see if that works... i think thats my prob..

It is more likly the video card drivers causing the problem. You are not alone in this. Do a search on google in groups an you will find lots of company and maybe some answers.

Dissolved said:

ok u kinda confused me?
what extaully would u do to get my pc to stop rebooting itself?

I probally confused you, ACPI (Advanced Configuration Power Interface) A lot of people have trouble with ACPI because it puts all your devices on one irq. There is a good thread about this but I can't find it, I'll try to find it and post the link. Just if you disable ACPI there is a good chance you could gain back stability.

But when you disable ACPI you can't use stand by, or automaticly have your computer power down. Then there is APM, (advanced power management) That should let the computer still able to power down automatically. Without them installed you come to the "safe to turn off computer" screen

So if you want to try to turn off ACPI when you install windows you can enter your bios and disable it. ACPI + windows XP= unstabilty

satan said:

I probally confused you, ACPI (Advanced Configuration Power Interface) A lot of people have trouble with ACPI because it puts all your devices on one irq. There is a good thread about this but I can't find it, I'll try to find it and post the link. Just if you disable ACPI there is a good chance you could gain back stability.

But when you disable ACPI you can't use stand by, or automaticly have your computer power down. Then there is APM, (advanced power management) That should let the computer still able to power down automatically. Without them installed you come to the "safe to turn off computer" screen

So if you want to try to turn off ACPI when you install windows you can enter your bios and disable it. ACPI + windows XP= unstabilty

so if i disable acpi, and apm would be pc turn off regular still?
like if i hit start>turn off computer>shutdown it'll shutdown right?

Back