• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading from K7S5A to K7S6A under Win XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ahecht

I am thinking of upgrading from the K7S5A to the K7S6A, mainly because the 5A doesn't allows control of the multiplier setting and the 6A does, making it a better MB for overclocking. My only problem is that I have WinXP, which doesn't allow you to change motherboards without formatting your drive and reinstalling. Is the K7S6A similar enough to the K7S5A that Windows might see it as the same motherboard (i.e. does it use all the same drivers), or am I stuck reformatting no matter what? If I am stuck, has anyone found any tricks to get WinXP to recognize a new MB? Thanks.

Last edited:
That is a very good question. If and when you figure out, please post here so the rest of us can learn. I have not heard of anyone else trying this yet...

ahecht said:
I am thinking of upgrading from the K7S5A to the K7S6A, mainly because the 6A allows control of the multiplier setting and the 6A does, making it a better MB for overclocking. My only problem is that I have WinXP, which doesn't allow you to change motherboards without formatting your drive and reinstalling. Is the K7S6A similar enough to the K7S5A that Windows might see it as the same motherboard (i.e. does it use all the same drivers), or am I stuck reformatting no matter what? If I am stuck, has anyone found any tricks to get WinXP to recognize a new MB? Thanks.

I doubt it will be similar enough. First of all, the K7S6A uses the SiS745 chipset, and is compatible with only DDR memory. Different chipsets usually don't swap because they are quite different. Especially this one; adding support for PC2700.

My guess is that you should be ok.... .WPA only activates when a lot of things change. SO if you're running the same video, sound, NIC, etc I think you would be alright.

Back