• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRUE with E8400 High Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TexasOC

I'm wondering if my current setup has a performance issue. I'm running an E8400 at 1.4V in an open sided Antec P180 case. Original heatsink was a Scythe Ninja RevB. Fan was an Antec Tricool.

When running small FFT Prime 95 at high fan speed the CPU temp as reported by the on-die sensors was 60C.

When running small FFT Prime 95 at low fan speed the CPU temp as reported by the on-die sensors was 65C.

After researching about the poor performance of the Ninja Rev B, I decided to change it out for a new Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme using the same Antec Tricool. The base was typical of user reports, but I tried it unlapped anyway. I also lapped it. Lapping did not change the result:

When running small FFT Prime 95 at low fan speed the CPU temp as reported by the on-die sensors was 60C.

I realize a 5C drop is a significant improvement, however it seems others with this heatsink as well as similar heatsinks report load temperatures quite a bit lower than 60C. I seems to me that I should be getting better performance. Running the fan on high only drops temps by a few degrees.

I'm using AS5 and applying as directed using a thin line. Whenever I remove the cooler, the TIM distribution looks very good.

Is there something else to check? Would lapping the CPU really improve things?

TIA
-Mike

umm , CFM of fan? and did you lap it yet?

and YES it will affect the performance greatly after you lap.

my IFX ( basically 2 Thermalright Ultra 120's) - NOT EXTREME.
load was at 44C, @ 1.488V , before lap job lol ..

after my temps are under 25C ( temp sensors are stuck at 28-22) idle and under 35C on full load.

with 1 Delta 150CFM fan

To me, 60-65c, on air, at full load(with 1.4v), really isn't bad at all.

That being said, a good lapping job could only help the situation.

umm , CFM of fan? and did you lap it yet?

and YES it will affect the performance greatly after you lap.

my IFX ( basically 2 Thermalright Ultra 120's) - NOT EXTREME.
load was at 44C, @ 1.488V , before lap job lol ..

after my temps are under 25C ( temp sensors are stuck at 28-22) idle and under 35C on full load.

with 1 Delta 150CFM fan

The TRUE is lapped. CPU is not. According to Antec's web site the Tri-Cool is rated 39 CFM low, 79 CFM high. I've got another very loud, very high CFM fan that I could try.

Thanks,
-Mike

The TRUE is lapped. CPU is not. According to Antec's web site the Tri-Cool is rated 39 CFM low, 79 CFM high. I've got another very loud, very high CFM fan that I could try.

Thanks,
-Mike

To achieve best results from lapping, you will need to lap both the HS and the Processor.

I would say this voids the warranty, but it already is as you have overclocked it. You really have nothing to lose by completing the lap job to include the CPU and make both surfaces completely flat.

To me, 60-65c, on air, at full load(with 1.4v), really isn't bad at all.

That being said, a good lapping job could only help the situation.

i was wondering i have my 9550 around 3.8 and it hits 60 degrees flat at full load in prime 95, with realtemp. I thought 60+ was no mans land,and was waiting for liquid, but is it safe to push it nearer to 65-68? If so i may be able to hit close to 4 on air.

i was wondering i have my 9550 around 3.8 and it hits 60 degrees flat at full load in prime 95, with realtemp. I thought 60+ was no mans land,and was waiting for liquid, but is it safe to push it nearer to 65-68? If so i may be able to hit close to 4 on air.

Ygpm in the interest of keeping this thread on topic.

To achieve best results from lapping, you will need to lap both the HS and the Processor.

I would say this voids the warranty, but it already is as you have overclocked it. You really have nothing to lose by completing the lap job to include the CPU and make both surfaces completely flat.

unless you bought your CPU from microcenter lol

they told me i could take my mobo and cpu back even though they were close to 3 months after date of purchase.

but now the CPU is lapped and the mobo UPC was sent for MIR lol

unless you bought your CPU from microcenter lol

they told me i could take my mobo and cpu back even though they were close to 3 months after date of purchase.

but now the CPU is lapped and the mobo UPC was sent for MIR lol

Actually, I did buy the CPU at Microcenter. For CPUs and Mobos Microcenter's return policy isn't all that friendly. Buy a CPU, it's yours. Buy a mobo, and open it, it's yours.

Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but above is the jist of what the sign said hanging above the return counter in the Houston, TX store.

Saying that, I prefer this, as lately Microcenter has been pretty competitive on some things, even with tax. They beat Newegg on the E8400.

-Mike

For 1.4v to the CPU, your load temp sounds just about right. My CoolerMaster V8 gives load temps of 55c, but that's with 1.34v to the CPU - so yours seem to be scaling just about right. The CMV8 is typically on par with the TRUE.
Of course you have to consider room temp as well, aka ambient temp.

Actually, I did buy the CPU at Microcenter. For CPUs and Mobos Microcenter's return policy isn't all that friendly. Buy a CPU, it's yours. Buy a mobo, and open it, it's yours.

Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but above is the jist of what the sign said hanging above the return counter in the Houston, TX store.

Saying that, I prefer this, as lately Microcenter has been pretty competitive on some things, even with tax. They beat Newegg on the E8400.

-Mike

they beat newegg on everything now , ( they price match thenm also)

the microcenter that i go to in GA, is very great. well maybe its because i know everyone and dropped over 15k+ :beer: ( me and brother)

you can't return the CPU or MOBO but you can always exchange it for a new one , saves time by not dealing with RMA's :)

In the interest of the topic. have you reseated your CPU Cooler?
or tried a better compound?

In the interest of the topic. have you reseated your CPU Cooler?
or tried a better compound?

Reseated four times, twice with Ninja and twice with TRUE. Arctic Silver 5 should be plenty good enough I would think.

I apply the AS5 as instructed for dual cores on the AS website, i.e. a thin line aligned with the cores. After removal, the CPU top is almost completely covered except for the extreme corners. Coverage is also pretty thin.

-Mike

thats pretty weird actually, on full load @ 1.48 with a crappy Hyper 212 cooler, i managed to stay under 55c. ( lapped cooler and CPU)

have you tried strapping another fan for Push Pull?

stock fan on the H212, + a cheap 50 cfm coolermaster pull fan.

ambient is probally lower than Mike's , it was close to 24C. maybe a little higher

stock fan on the H212, + a cheap 50 cfm coolermaster pull fan.

ambient is probally lower than Mike's , it was close to 24C. maybe a little higher

My ambient is 22-23C. I went into details below but I've got another question: Does anybody know how much current the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P's CPU fan header is good for? Can I run a 0.45A fan off of it without burning it up? I'd like to use the MB CPU fan controller with the fan referenced below.

I've learned some things. All tests below were with 1.4V CPU core voltage.

1) More thorough testing has given me a highest P95 Small FFT speed of 4377MHz/515FS/1030MEM. This passed for 12 hours before I stopped it. I put the fan on low, and turned the fan controller down. Max temp was 64C. I view this as a pretty solid setting, as with the fan set normally it should top out at 60C. 4403/518/518 still dies almost immediately, even with the TriCool on high.

2) More extensive memory testing indicates my Gskill DDR2-1000 is good to DDR2-1070 5-5-5-15, so I should have plenty of FSB headroom to max out the CPU.

3) Higher CFM fan makes a difference. The 120 mm fan I have on it now is rated at 12V @ 0.45A. The motor on it is huge and it moves a lot of air. It is also quite loud at full speed. I don't have it mounted quite properly because it has closed screw holes and as such it is only held on at the top of the TRUE with zip ties, thus the bottom of the fan actually pulls away slightly due to the air pressure.

At 4403/518/518 the Antec TriCool on high topped out at 59C. This new fan tops out at about 55C. So it provides a 4C drop.

I also started having some success at 4500MHz. P95 small FFT actually passed for 6 minutes @ 4505/530/530 before failing. Before, this would die immediately.

My original goal was 4500 and this is oh so close. It looks like if I can just get a bit more thermal performance out of the system that I would meet my goal. I'd settle for 4454/524/524 as it actually SuperPI's faster than 4500/500/500 :).

I think lapping the CPU is in my future. Thanks for the help. Feel free to offer suggestions. Is there a fan I should be considering?

-Mike

For the fan, are you looking for the highest cfm regardless of noise level, or some sort of compromise?
Just out of curiosity, is all that voltage required for you to run stable at those speeds? If you can drop the voltage a bit, you will lower your temps for sure.

For the fan, are you looking for the highest cfm regardless of noise level, or some sort of compromise?
Just out of curiosity, is all that voltage required for you to run stable at those speeds? If you can drop the voltage a bit, you will lower your temps for sure.

1.4V is as high as I am willing to go for 24/7. 4250 doesn't need quite that much. I'm try to find out how fast it will go on 1.4. Max on 1.4 looks to be near 4450.

I care about fan noise. The mobo has a fan controller, so I'm hoping to find something that moves more than the Antec and still is quiet at low loads. I don't mind more fan noise at heavy loads.

-Mike

heheh your 8400 clocks better then my 8600, im jealous :)

and people think your running high voltage heheh. ive had this chip less then a week and its been to 1.53 lol :beer: if your chip scales with voltage, and doesnt seem to run hot, then let er rip :)

Back