Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

loads of problems with my xp x64 install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 06:57 PM Thread Starter   #1
jediobi1

loads of problems with my xp x64 install

ok so today i was trying to get a game installed so that i could try and extract the textures from it, well i dont know what happend but for some reason my theme changed to the windows classic theme and when i restarted to try and fix it, it would start to load windows and then as soon as its about to start (at the part with the blue loading bar)

it restarts and it just kept doing that til i was able to choose last known good configuration and it booted, however i did not have a task bar, i cant copy and paste or cut and paste and i can not drag and drop files

both of which are bad since i went out and bought a copy of vista 64 and wanna backup my files but i cant, i also do not have internet on windows and i cant create a connection, so i dont know whats going on, but if any of you have any ideas please let me know, im trying to fix this before i go to work tonight, so i await your answers and thanks for reading

Videocard: ATI Radeon 4850
Case: Antec 900
Mouse: Logitech G5
Keyboard: Zboard Gaming Keyboard

My Heatware
jediobi1 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-09, 07:09 PM   #2
hinderpits

what game was it you were installing? did it install any 3rd party software that isn't 64 bit compatible?

hINdErPiTsintel core2quad 9550@4.2(lapped)*8 gb mushkin pc 8500 *EVGA 285GTX stock*asus maximus 2 formula r.o.g.*custom liquid(apogee gtz, mcp 655b, 2x120 rad in push/pull mounted outside, xspc 5.25 bay res, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX 1/2" tubes) ultra 650 watt psu*2x120 gb wd black*1 terabyte wd black data hd*liteon 20x dl dvdrw litescribe*sb audigy*3xindustrial 80mm fan 4600rpm/55cfm*6x120mm fan(2xkazemaster)*Scythe KM02-BK fan controller*sunbeam transformer atx full *windows xp pro 64/vista ultimate 32 dual boot* asus 24" 1080p/dvi
THOSE WHO DESIRE TO GIVE UP FREEDOM TO GAIN SECURITY WILL NOT HAVE NOR DO THEY DESERVE EITHER ONE-BENJAMIN FRANKLINBE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD-GHANDIASK ME ABOUT FREE CUSTOM MACHINED PARTS FOR YOUR RIG
hinderpits is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-04-09, 07:13 PM Thread Starter   #3
jediobi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinderpits View Post
what game was it you were installing? did it install any 3rd party software that isn't 64 bit compatible?
the game was star wars xwing alliance and no it didnt install any 3rd party software as i didnt get it installed i had to copy the files from another computer to get it to work under 64bit windows since its a 16bit installer if i remember correctly

My Heatware
Old 03-04-09, 09:21 PM Thread Starter   #4
jediobi1

after 30 pages of google searching i found an answer, i managed to use a ubuntu cd to backup my files and am now running vista 64bit

My Heatware
Old 03-05-09, 05:25 AM   #5
Stratus_ss
Overclockix Snake Charming Senior
Alt OS Content Editor

I didn't quite understand what you were asking or I would have suggested a linux cd to retrieve the data. I thought you were looking for someone to fix your problem not work around it

Leviathan41: "Playing with a controller because the mouse and keyboard is too easy is like racing with a bicycle because a car is too fast."

Chris Fisher "Windows is like Administration with training wheels"
Stratus_ss is offline Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-09, 01:04 PM Thread Starter   #6
jediobi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus_ss View Post
I didn't quite understand what you were asking or I would have suggested a linux cd to retrieve the data. I thought you were looking for someone to fix your problem not work around it
well i was trying to find a workaround or a fix to the problems i was having but after i found the link for the ubuntu cd to backup my files i went for that

My Heatware
Old 03-05-09, 01:37 PM   #7
biosboy4

Long live Linux!
biosboy4 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-09, 03:06 PM   #8
UglyChild

XP64 has very little support as it was never a main stream for people that play games. Youll just have to go back to 32Bit XP, or jump on to Vista.
UglyChild is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-09, 03:19 PM   #9
Bandit1
Registered

Hmm,dunno what the problem was,but every 32 bit game i had worked ok with it.I don't have a ton of games tho.That aside,xp64 is a bad choice amongst choices but i bought mine when it first came out but sorta then got the"gonna stay oem" info from ms,doh.
Bandit1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-05-09, 04:25 PM Thread Starter   #10
jediobi1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1 View Post
Hmm,dunno what the problem was,but every 32 bit game i had worked ok with it.I don't have a ton of games tho.That aside,xp64 is a bad choice amongst choices but i bought mine when it first came out but sorta then got the"gonna stay oem" info from ms,doh.
the problem i had was the first one i had with xp x64

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyChild View Post
XP64 has very little support as it was never a main stream for people that play games. Youll just have to go back to 32Bit XP, or jump on to Vista.
i already went to 64bit vista but i also never had any problems with any programs on xp x64, just xwing alliance which is a 16bit installer and doesnt work under 64bit os

My Heatware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications